Well, this sucks.. SPS dying off

Not sure what the deal is but over the past day the few pieces of sps or dying off rapidly. The flesh is peeling right off.

So far, Purple stylo, red cap, red planet, slimmer, tri color are going downhill.

The purple stylo have the flesh coming off like crazy.

I dont know the water params at the minute since my kits are all expired. The only major thing that has changed is my wavemaker went out but i dont think it would cause this.

I also noticed a bit of cyano on the sand bed. Any ideas what would cause such a rapid decline.

JBJ 28 g. Purigen, NoP04, dose brightwell a and b every 3 days or so. Acro power once a week. 5 gallon water change weekly.

Attachments

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Not sure what the deal is but over the past day the few pieces of sps or dying off rapidly. The flesh is peeling right off.

So far, Purple stylo, red cap, red planet, slimmer, tri color are going downhill.

The purple stylo have the flesh coming off like crazy.

I dont know the water params at the minute since my kits are all expired. The only major thing that has changed is my wavemaker went out but i dont think it would cause this.

I also noticed a bit of cyano on the sand bed. Any ideas what would cause such a rapid decline.

JBJ 28 g. Purigen, NoP04, dose brightwell a and b every 3 days or so. Acro power once a week. 5 gallon water change weekly.
With out the tanks parameters really hard to help you out. Sorry about that.

ya, thanks. going to try and get that in a bit.

should i remove the sticks that are releasing the flesh, is that causing more damage to water chemistry?

djrice69

SocaliReef M0DERAT0R IG Farmedfrags
Staff member
2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
The flesh is probably stinging your corals when they rtn and float around

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Sounds like a major rtn event. You parameters are off and/or your water is contaminated perhaps by your failing wave maker. Major water change, carbon and remove the dying stuff or at least trim the rtn portions away with a wide border. You should consider fragging healthy portions that you think you can save. The above mentioned are the steps I would utilize.

I hate testing parameters but I nonetheless do it routinely and frequently--really no choice. I hate changing water. I hate checking and maintaining my calcium reactor. I hate cleaning my skimmer. I hate cleaning the glass. I hate changing filter socks. I hate swapping out light bulbs. I hate trimming chaeto. I do love my sps though.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
maybe not a bad batch of salt but def could be that it wasn't properly mixed. I've seen LFS do a quick mix because they either forgot to make sw earlier or ran out. This is why i decided to stop being lazy and make my own saltwater going forward. Heard horror stories from just not even mixing the salt batch around before pouring it in water.