45 gallon Acros Tank

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
It's been a while since the last update.
So I had a bad outbreak of bryopsis in my frag tank and do a 14 days treatment with fruconazole. What I can tell is the medicine works, and it's reef safe. However I did have some casualties.
During the 14 days of the treatment, my pH drop significantly (~7.8) and sure the nutrient rising plus no water change. The environmental change makes some creatures living in it become more aggressive. After years living peaceful together, those zoas decided to kill their neighbors.
My pink lemonade colony losed the fight.

So, this is the last pics of it. RIP baby.

I took a risk and removed them...by hand.

The blue bonsai also decided it doesn't want to be around the Pikachu any more (or may be the zoas's toxic juice make them irritate) . Luckily I am able to save the Pikachu colony just in time. It now sitting on my frag tank, color lost and polyps retract.

I also about to get the calcium reactor running.
Currently decreasing the doser rate from 135 mil each part to 100 mil each part with the calcium reactor's pH at 6.75~6.85.

Did 20 gallons water change, add GAC after the treatment finish ( all bryopsis gone) yesterday and today everything blooming again!

Some top down pic , so you have some idea how much of a space vs corals that I have to deal right now.

Trimming my Strawberry shortcake to the root again. Man, this one grow soooo fast I can't keep up with the trimming.

I decided to name this one Mr V's Biohazard since I bought it as RR biohazard and turn out it's not a rr biohazard.
Super hairy and true yellow. (Frags available )

My heart skips a beat or two every time I see this baby.
A True pink Walt Disney.

I think my doser is failing. The Alk drop to 6.8dkh last night (I haven't tested for a week) even with the rate of 100 mil a day.
I'm kind of surprised how tolerant acros can handle. everything still look good.

My Vectra M1 also *** up. I notice a huge swinging in its power usage. Disassembled everything and see this. It's extremely hot, I think the inside motor was melted.

The pump just over a year (warranty expired ). Hopefully me and Ecotech can work something out.
Hey Mr. V, my L1 did the exact same thing. They warrantied it (overnighted me a new one). Did they send you a new one?

Ps. your corals are gorgeous!

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Where in terms of lighting and flow are you keeping your WD? What's your lineage on it? Truly amazing piece
As you can see in the topdown pic. It is on the top layer of my tank. All of my corals received extreme flow!

Hey Mr. V, my L1 did the exact same thing. They warrantied it (overnighted me a new one). Did they send you a new one?

Ps. your corals are gorgeous!
Thank you.
They are pretty good as customer service. They sent me a new pump.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Not the coolest, but definitely my proud piece. Kinda hard to find and harder to see it color up like this!
Rr Pretty in Pink?

I love the polyps!

Coming back after fully trimmed last month.

I got lazy and this guy completely shade out my rr biohazard. Half of the biohazard colony gone.
A pic for you before I trim you to the base!

Rr Blue Planet. I don't see this acro often.

This definitely NOT the gaft bonsai! Growing back so slow since the last trim (to the base). But I like the shape, and the branches grow so thick, bushy, and...blue! Super blue.

After sitting in my tank for 2 years, this start coloring up nicely. No named. I am not thinking about any name for this bad boy yet.

This too no named. I have it more than 2 years. No grow!
But when it grow, will be a bad-*** acro no doubt!

Sexy coral Orange Passion

Sunset Mili. Who said $15 frag can't stand out in the crowd ?!
This mili is in front and middle of my tank. Eyes catcher!

Strawberry shortcake. He grow in the middle of my op, joe rainbow and Bc battle juice. So not even a small chance to become a colony ! I trim it to the base every month!

One of the hardest acro to color up to me! Vivid rainbow delight! Touch it and it brown!

The base is still brown actually.

Bc Therman rainbow. I recently tried to cut the whole colony down to save space for the rr Pink Floyd. But no luck at all. The colony is sooo thick. So he stays.

Vivid fire garden. Ppl say it and the red planet are same acro. I never own a red planet, but compare to online pictures, I think this acro is more worth keeping than the red planet.

Rr the Vinh

Another no named.

Wd under "not too blue" light:

Now, the group shots:

Nice colors V! Is this your new tank? Or still your 45?
Btw whats the pink one lady in pink?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
It's the Same old 45 gallons bro, and yes the pink one is rr lady in pink.

Last edited:

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry for no update on this tank and the 100 gallons systems. I am way too busy lately. With work, school, and a baby boy coming next January.
I don't even have time enjoy the tank! But my system knows me well, it's doing good despite being neglected.
Corals start touching each other and the branches become too thick to trim. It's almost like their base touching.

Last edited:

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Viet can I asked you how you formed your aquascape? what type of rocks did you use? Looking to duplicate you scape on my new 70g #noshame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Something weird happed to my Walt Disney. It turns to...yellow.
The color is actually glowing, way better than its natural color. But I suspect it more bad than good.
Everything stay normal, except for the Mag go up to 1600.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Weird V, looks like it got pale. Like it got stripped of nutrients? Still beautiful for sure though.

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
I can't sleep tonight...again, so here are some pics...

Rr the Vinh, surprisingly people doesn't love the blue polyps as much as I do.

Bc battle juice: also blue polyps with blue tips instead of pink like rr the vinh.

Asd doomsday:

Rose mili

My new addition: rr Pink Floyd. Already yellow with red polyps. I always have a thing for yellow acros!

A while ago, i got this one as a freebie for my pack purchase. I didn't see any potential in it, just a normal red acro. Well, I change my perception for it today. Love the red! It's the most red-ish acro in the the right now. Vivid fire garden doesn't have enough "fire" compared to this bad boy.
Also table out nicely

Some fun top down shots

Weird V, looks like it got pale. Like it got stripped of nutrients? Still beautiful for sure though.
It definitely lack of nutrients my friend. I've lived in the comfort zone for too long that I didn't notice all the algae in my tank (except cyano_which was bacteria) were gone! I was lazy and skip target feeding for the last couple month.
After a week of heavy feeding, Things are going better.

Last edited:

Mr V

Premium Member
Supporter
Time does fly fast. It's been a year since I opened this thread.
Let's see a before/after FTS :

02/15

11/17

Show off!
I almost bought a school of Chromis the other day. But I'm thinking 14 fish already in my 45 is too many.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
[MENTION=6293]Mr V[/MENTION]. It is an amazing accomplishment with your beautiful tank. It is so easy to be lulled by either being in a comfort zone or getting lazy. It is difficult to be consistent for anyone. Success like yours only comes from being very detailed. Your colors are great and so is your choice of acros. You said you started feeding heavily this last week and you said that you target feed. What do you feed and/or supplement with. What do you run your nitrates and phosphates at. What do you use for nutrient export

Latest posts