Moving a tank from Upstairs to Downstairs

So, I am in the process of setting up a tank downstairs (66g) to eventually tear down the tank upstairs (28g).

My original plan was to do this because the tank upstairs is so small, and I was just planning on having a strictly nano setup in my man cave. My wife likes it so much, she wants it downstairs in the living room/home office. I don't blame her, I always wanted it this way as well.

So, she initially just wanted the nano 28g to be moved, but because moving a tank is generally a serious PITA, especially when stairs are involved, I considered getting the 66, plotted its size, etc, and she was down for the size upgrade. Yay.

But now, as I'm looking at that project not starting until January, I'm now considering if it would be better to just go ahead and bucket every piece of LR, Livestock, etc and move the tank downstairs into (almost) the same location, and just know that the distance traveled between the two eventually setups will be smaller, and the hardest part ultimately done.

If I choose not to do this, then all I have to do is setup the tank (Eventually) and then bucket and acclimate every piece as soon as the other tank is ready.

I could go either way with how I ultimately feel about which decision is better, and just flip a coin, but I would appreciate some counsel or additional questions regarding this.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
can you not have 2 tanks? 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs?
If only one, ideally, just leave the upstairs tank until the down stairs tank is ready

Last edited:

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I would just leave it be. Stuff tends to die when it gets disturbed too much so why risk it if its unnecessary.

can you not have 2 tanks? 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs?
If only one, ideally, just leave the upstairs tank until the down stairs tank is ready
I am going to have to turn my man cave into a bedroom for our 3rd child.

It is not a necessity yet, but it will be soon, so I would rather jump the gun early, rather than later. I might keep the 28 and eventually put it in the bedroom, but it will no longer be in the cave, regardless.

an increase is tank size also means you'll need more rock, you could start cycling some new rock (if your not planning to get live rock) that way when you do switch over on jan everything will be a lot faster. personally i would leave the 28 where it is for now until you're 100% sure you're ready to go.

Latest posts