my heaters are killing me!

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Lowes has polycarbonate sheets, so I will pick up some of that instead. Thanks for the tip.

I figured since heat rises a top would keep the heat from escaping. I read that people don't like lids because it keeps the heat in and can overheat the tank, so in the summer I could take it off. I need to start monitoring ambient air temp and maybe that data could help me out.

Should it be?
some have their tank in the garage like myself. i keep my tank at 75 and 80 in the summers.
only way to keep the tank temp is the ambient temp.

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
I let my tanks get down to 72-73 during the winter and up to 78-79 during the summer. The only tank I have a heater in is my 29, but my 135 and 240 don't have heaters. I set my thermostat in the house at 70 during the winter. I've done it this way for several years and haven't had any issues. I have sps, softies, nems, lps, fish.

805, you can set your heaters to 73-74 and you'll be golden. The ocean is only warm (80) near the surface. When you get 6 feet or deeper, the temp drops a lot (speaking from my experience in Hawaii snorkeling and open diving).

I let mine go down to 75 degrees, I've never had an issue with the fish or corals at 75 other than my clowns seem to stop laying eggs when the water gets below 77, but I see that as a positive.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok, so I lowered it down to 75-75.9 and I that worked out pretty good so far. The heaters only kicked on once last night for an hour and a half. I'll let this go for a few days and see how it goes.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
That sounds like some good savings already. Hope it works out.

Ok, so I lowered it down to 75-75.9 and I that worked out pretty good so far. The heaters only kicked on once last night for an hour and a half. I'll let this go for a few days and see how it goes.

Latest posts