Jan's Tropical fish review

It's a store located in Montclair, Ca. It is a family owned store and they are outstanding! Price on equipment is a little on the pricey side but they have to make money somehow so I still purchase it from them. They have a wide variety of livestock (both freshwater and saltwater) for great prices!! I would check them out if you're ever in the area!

I like them very much.

When I call most places in my area and I ask for something unique, all I tend to hear is, "oh, you don't want that. That product isn't a good idea to have."

When I call Jan's and ask for something unique they typically say, "we don't have that, but if you can wait until Wednesday, I'll take your phone number and call you if we get it."

Twice I have done that, for unique fw shrimp and for a nudibranch. Both times they called me on Wednesday.

They will also, ussually, honor a SCAPE discount, even for their SW goods.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Love this place for sure. Great selection on food,additives, and so on. Live stock is pretty well stocked to. I love supporting local stores here and there.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Awesome! Thanks for the review guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

limal17

i just went there today and that store is awesome!! i love the selection of saltwater fish they have and they won't try and sell you a fish if they don't think it will thrive in your tank.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I know for a fact they use copper for the tanks with fish. They get new arrivals on Wed, so if you bought them soon after the fish is more likely stressed

I love that place. Got 100 bucks in gift cards I gotta spend there asap. Only place that sells no pox close to me too

nay

Premium Member
Supporter
I know for a fact they use copper for the tanks with fish. They get new arrivals on Wed, so if you bought them soon after the fish is more likely stressed
They don't use copper that I know for a fact ... What ever they got from wholesale goes in the tank after acclimation... No treatment or quarantine.

nay

Premium Member
Supporter
They don't use copper that I know for a fact ... What ever they got from wholesale goes in the tank after acclimation... No treatment or quarantine.
nvm.... just ask them today they started dosing once every couple of month not too long ago

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
I picked up a nice copper band few weeks back.. . And its eating. They had a couple more last time i went.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reefking

Ive bought a few fish from them before. They all made it just fine. Their tanks are usually clean and the selection is decent. I'm use to walking into other places and seeing all the lights turned down so you can't spot the ich.

I've been coming here for more than a year and have had no issues with their livestock. They always seem to have dry goods I need when I need them so it's very convenient. I frequent this store maybe 5-7 times a month.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of not QTing a brown tang I bought from them. Not to long after, it was apparent it had a parasite and died the same day. Then wiped out my two clownish I had for a couple years as well as my salfin tang. Was pretty bummed out. Always, always QT your fish!

ijnoj09

One of the nicer stores in the area. Not much corals but usually have a great selection of fish. Dry goods are a bit expensive, but they do have a good selection of goods if you need something right away and don't want to order online.

Ever since jumping back into the hobby I've been stopping by here quite often since it's on my way home from work and is right off the 10 fwy. The place is still clean and brightly lit as usual. I have seen dead fish on occasion a few times so I think they need to improve on that and be more diligent in removing them. Prices on livestock are reasonable but the mark up on the dry goods kind of leaves a sour taste. They are nice people so if I really need something I'll make the sacrifice and buy it there to help them out.