Phyto culture

I always wanted to try this. What are some mistakes that a begginer can do to mess all of this .
My list of messups:

Inadequate aeration. Seriously, buy ridgid pvc tubing.
Inadequate lighting. It doeant need to be expensive, just light it all.
Too much or too little culture food. It ia 1 ml/liter. That simple.
Incorrect saltwater range 1.019 go 1.020. Nowhere else.

Bigpapii

I always wanted to try this. What are some mistakes that a begginer can do to mess all of this .
Honestly it's not really hard. I guess the thing that I messed up on was forgetting to split the culture. Cuz if you don't split it they'll run out of nutrients due to over crowding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Okay. I had two of my 3 crash, so i cancelled everything and started over. I stopped the culture that survived and popped it in the fridge. I ordered the rigid tubing, installed it, and made an enclosure for my phyto and my daphnia. I also made an order for 3 more of my lights.

Sent using TAPATALK via Android
What's in the HDX container?

Dosing my tanks at half a liter every 2 days, I am now up 2 liters in surplus.

After Christmas I am going to double my copepod cultures and my phyto production.

how long have you be culturing python. I grew it for 7 years and never had issues where I needed to run a UV. what is the density on your cultures

Bigpapii

how long have you be culturing python. I grew it for 7 years and never had issues where I needed to run a UV. what is the density on your cultures
I barely started this year. I know it's not required and rare that any issues may happen but I just do it to keep things sterilized. I grew it for my biology research paper so keeping everything sterile makes the data accurate. Using the density stick the ratio is about 1 million cells per ml.

Bigpapii

Hey have you ever cultured phyto in Petri dishes? That's my next project so I can get way from jars taking up space and the annoying sound of air bubbles ahaha

Bigpapii

no I haven't. I was doing them in 3 6 liter tubes. bigger volume is more stable if you have the space

That's cool. My setup is just a few half gal glass jars from the grocery store
Can I see photos of your set up? I'd like to compare mine so I could maybe improve on anything.
I actually don't have that much space aha. I'm in high school still so I'm still with my parents. The only space I have is my room. That's why I wanna start culturing them using agar. I've read that it's a lot cheaper and compact. I hope it'll be just as easy too lol

Latest posts