Achille tang loosing its caudal spine

I just noticed my Achille has lost or missing it's sharp caudal spines, on both sides, about 2 days ago. They were there before and now they are gone/missing. I do have lots of tangs in my 600 gal including an Achille hybrid that he was fighting with a few weeks ago but things has gotten better for the past week after I removed and re-introduced him back in the tank. I also noticed he seems super mellow since he lost his spines.... And also not eating as good as before. Has anyone ever seen this before????
Maybe my achille hybrid beats the crap out of him and taught him a lesson and stripped his "weapons"??? Lol I don't know . He was the aggressor before and now he's supper mellow and stays in his side of the tank.

Last edited:

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Not sure how much they can retract em bc I know they can extend them when establishing dominance so maybe they're still there tucked away and became the other tangs biotch.

Lol. I guess he's a biatch now hahaha.
But seriously can it be retracted all the way inside its body??? I know normally it will be folded neatly in the caudal groove but it's still visible. But on this guy there's nothing there. I can actually see the groove but the spine is missing. Compared with my hybrid the spine is there. They are both about 8 inches long so not small tangs.

Ok correction! Correction!
Now I see it on one side and the other side I can see the tip of it protruding from the body. Wow! That's freaky! I guess it can be retracted all the way in.