Alien worm in my fish!!!

So I bought this large male crosshatch trigger from Hawaii a week ago. He looks nice and fat when got him. I put him my 50 gal QT tank for the past week. I typically treat my fish with Praprizo and cupramine for a few weeks before going into display tank. However after a few days I noticed he got some fin rot so I also treat him with Furan2 and anti-fungal meds.
I just changed 50% water yesterday and he seems to have improved with the fin rot. I came home today and saw these two creatures at the bottom of the tank! There's no other fish in the tank beside the trigger so these must have come from inside the trigger! I've never seen anything like this before. The larger "worm" is about 1 in long.
Anyone knows what they might be????
image.jpg

They're harder to spot than you think -- But yes, it's an isopod. They're very bad large parasites, many of the ones we will run into eat your fish. It's 99% likely this is what was causing your 'fin rot'. Here's an excerpt from this awesome article:

"Large Aegid isopods in the North Eastern Pacific have been seen to wait on the bottom until an acceptable fish, such as a small salmon, swims overhead. The isopod then swims rapidly up and fastens on to the fish, and proceeds to eat its fins and tail. The bug then slices open the fish and eats all its blood, proceeding then to eat the lateral muscle bands and, when they are done, they discard the guts and skeleton."

fish

Crazy, if you google it, you see them in the mouth of the fish. You will also see them in the mouth of the person eating them too haha

Wow . I remember seeing these on some bazar creature show. Didn't think about them coming to my fish tank....

Latest posts