Coral shock?

I have had my calcium consistently just below 400, after weeks of trying to increase it with brightwell aquatics for a few weeks I bought the red Sea calcium additive and added what would get me up to 450 last night today my coral (not sure exactly of the name, if anyone know it would be helpful) look like they can't handle the amount of calcium. They have been in the tank for a few weeks with the calcium level at 400. All other water conditions are normal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
[MENTION=11772]playajames[/MENTION] since your having issues raising your cal what is your alk and mag at? As far as the zoa's go give them a few days. Mine close up like that sometimes and I have seen them go completely closed for days.

Just tested my alk, test says 5dkh. I'm still quite new to the hobby and need to do a bit of research on what alkalinity actually is. I'm not sure what mag is and I don't have a test for it.

Note that my other corals have been fine throughout the day, starting to close up now, it's almost time for bed.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
You want you Alk around 7-9 dKH and your cal over 400ppm. But it will be very hard to get your levels there if you mag is off as well. Pick up a solid reef test kit that does alk, cal, and mag and test all. Mag should be around 1400ppm with those numbers. I run my sps tank at 7-8 alk, 450 cal, and 1500 mag.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Also do not raise all that at once. If the bottle says you need 100ml cal to raise it 50ppm then do 50 slowly in the morning and 50 slowly at night and test before each dose and you don't want to dose alk, cal, and mag at the same time. Dose them at least 15 min apart, at least that's the rule I follow when manually dosing.

Ok, I need to do a water change today so I'll do that and retest and add what's needed. Is there a additive for alk and mag just like calcium?

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes there are. If your using the Red Sea stuff you want Reef Foundation ABC I believe. Not 100% sure though as I don't use their alk cal and mag.

Little update here I've moved these guys around the tank, in and out of light and finally just took them out to do a real good inspection on them, they seem to be trying to open but don't completely open and most just stay closed. I noticed a few odd looking things on the bottom side of the rock these zoas are on, they appear to look like purple colored worms that didn't move while I was inspecting them. I'll post the photos and take all the help I can get.

Water Parameters:
PH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Alkalinity: 8.1
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1220 (in process of bring up)
Phosphates: Unknown

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Little update here I've moved these guys around the tank, in and out of light and finally just took them out to do a real good inspection on them, they seem to be trying to open but don't completely open and most just stay closed. I noticed a few odd looking things on the bottom side of the rock these zoas are on, they appear to look like purple colored worms that didn't move while I was inspecting them. I'll post the photos and take all the help I can get.

Water Parameters:
PH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Alkalinity: 8.1
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1220 (in process of bring up)
Phosphates: Unknown

Looks like bristle warms to me. Best thing to do with new corals is pick a spot for them in the tank and not more them unless you have to or are ready to select their final home

My tank does better when I don't touch anything and leave it alone.

These corals are the oldest in the tank, they were doing great until they closed up right around when I created this thread.

Latest posts