Clear skim mate?

I've recently purchased a SM-121 for my 75 gallon reef tank. I've got about 6 fishies and quite a few snails and crabs, one sea star, and 3 small coral frags. The system has been up for a few months now, the skimmer running about 2 weeks. Initial break in period seems to be over. I am feeding quite a bit(1 frozen block a day) to keep my fish from eating my coral, pretty effective so far.

Now the problem I'm having is that my skimmer is producing clear skimmate in the collection cup. The neck of the collectuon cup seems to be collecting most of the good and dark skim mate. I'll post a pic of what I mean below.

The collection cup does rise each day very little, it's clear of course. I've read that the neck should be wiped out to allow the nasty stuff to rise. It seems to be getting stuck in the walls on the way up. I've wiped it out and am going to monitor and hope it start making it into the collection cup.

I've got my water level set to just below the white collar below the neck as shown below. I get quite a foam head that over time builds up to the cap on the collection cup, the bubbles are a little big at the moment but I've been constantly changing the setting on this thing to get it right and haven't seen any dark skimmate at all yet.

I'm pretty new to the hobby and appreciate any suggestions
😀

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks good to me. Maybe a little on the wet side but only time will tell. Let it fill up more before you empty it next time and see what it looks like then.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
or too much on the dry side that all the skimmate is building in the neck only and only a small amount is making its way over. I would clean it and try running it at different levels and test each level for a few days to see where the optimal position is

Looks fine to me. Your system is still pretty new and feeding a cube a day is normal amount. There is not a whole lot of waste in your water column if you are maintaining it like normal.

Looks fine. Adjust cup height for 2-3 days at a time.

Do you have macroalgae in your refugium? After my chaeto took off, my skimmate went way down.

Sent using TAPATALK via Android

john0087

I thought maybe too dry as well. That's a lot of gunk built up on the neck. looks like the foam is drying up before it can spill over to tge collection area.

Latest posts