Final stocking additions questions?

Hey guys, been getting my questions answered on these forums and figured I'd keep asking away haha.

I want to add one more fish to my tank, I wanted to get some input from the community though, I have a feeling I'll be told it's a bad idea.

The Tank:
It's a 55 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump. I run 3 850gph power heads, 2 prime hd led lights, it's got a pretty decent flow going through the sump, 2 3/4 return pipes, one at each rear corners. One 1.5" overflow in the center of the tank. I do have corals in the tank so far and will definitely be adding. Currently the frogspawn is the only one I can name :O. I've got 3 other corals, I believe 2 are zoolanders but I honestly am not sure.

Current Stock:
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Spotted Sweetlips
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Yellow Head Watchman Goby
2 Scooter Blennies
1 brittlestar (I think, it's a star with long tenticles)
1 small red crab
10ish mixed snails
6ish hermits

All fish are extremely well fed if you ask me, half cube in morning half cube at night. There is also always a clip with seaweed in it. So far my puffer hasn't messed with my corals.

What I would love to see in this tank is a baby snowflake eel... and I most definitely want to add a harlequin shrimp. Would this be possible? What are your thoughts on the idea?

Didn't get a pic of the finished product, I ended up running each overflow separately, removed tee due to the loudness of the overflow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
The shrimp will be eaten! Also I'm not sure your tank is big enough to house a eel. I've done it before in a 60 gallon and I always had issues with them escaping and killing themselves.

Personally I would add the shrimp and x the eel off the list.

Well I won't add the shrimp if it's likely to be eaten... is there anything exotic you can think of to add at this point?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
well I would say you're getting some pretty aggressive fish in the tank. Your blennies and goby will most likely become dinner if not by the snowflake eel, then the sweetlips. By the way that fish will get really really big if it survives. If you decide to go aggressive, then refrain from buying small fish and keep in mind that predatory fish like the eel and sweetlips will dirty the water especially a tank of that size. Also, know that if you want to really get into corals, then you may also be climbing an uphill battle to keep your levels where it needs to be.

Are the Sweetlips that aggressive? I wish I would have read up a bit more on them, the guy at local fish store didn't seem to mention that it would be much of an issue. So far everything is getting along. The Sweetlips is the biggest in the tank so far, might be a good idea to take it back though. As for the puffer, she seems to be getting along well with the tank mates as well. The goby dosent come out much unfortunately, maybe this is due to the other fish picking on it? I haven't seen any aggression towards him but rarely see him. I'm not too crazy about aggressive fish, just the unusual looking ones.

Ok the Sweetlips is gone, she wasn't my favorite fish and after hearing here and reading up on the fish I decided to go fishing. Took about 30 minutes to catch her and honestly it seemed like luck but she's back at the fish store, I'm hoping to keep the puffer as the only somewhat aggressive fish, she had been pretty friendly so far. I definitely want to add the harlequin shrimp and one more active fish. The only fish that really swim around much are the puffer and tang, goby stays in his home or at bottom of tank most time and so do most the other fish. Any suggestions for the addition?

Latest posts