Cyano in fairly high flow areas?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah I ordered that stuff as well. Brightwell has a version out called Microbacter Clean. Looks like it's based on the same principal in providing different strains of bacteria to fight algae and cyano. I picked up a block of Brightwell Xport and plan on trying that out on the new tank to help with bio filtration

watchguy123

Featured Reef
That all depends on what you want to do. If you want a ULN then bring your NO3 down lower. I run mine at about .0 to .10 but I also have no PO4. Just got to find that balance that works for you. If you want to keep your NO3 levels then you need some PO4 detectable and you will get more algae. Let me look up some links and I'll post them for you. I know my tanks ran better with .3 PO4 when I had 10 NO3. Think the ratio was 16:1 or something like that but does not have to be exact.
Hope I am not derailing thread if so we talk via pm. I was struck by 0-.1 ppm of nitrates and zero phosphates. I have a host of questions 1) do your acros pale at this low level of nutrients 2). How do you maintain such low nitrates-siporax, biopellets, small Bioload ? 3). What do you have think is keeping your phosphates at zero--I'm always intrigued by those who can manage low phosphates--you can target nitrates via bacteria but bacteria seem to be much less efficient with phosphate consumption

Unrelated to your post, it seems once Cyanobacteria gets a foothold (anytime you can actually see it), even when you believe your nitrates and phosphates are in balance, the cyano seems to preferentially consume its needs and reluctantly gives up its niche very slowly.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Hope I am not derailing thread if so we talk via pm. I was struck by 0-.1 ppm of nitrates and zero phosphates. I have a host of questions 1) do your acros pale at this low level of nutrients 2). How do you maintain such low nitrates-siporax, biopellets, small Bioload ? 3). What do you have think is keeping your phosphates at zero--I'm always intrigued by those who can manage low phosphates--you can target nitrates via bacteria but bacteria seem to be much less efficient with phosphate consumption

Unrelated to your post, it seems once Cyanobacteria gets a foothold (anytime you can actually see it), even when you believe your nitrates and phosphates are in balance, the cyano seems to preferentially consume its needs and reluctantly gives up its niche very slowly.
I run a 1/4 dose of biopellets and GFO along with skimming. As far as pale corals go I do dose amino's everyday which helps with the color and growth.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
So the red slime is outta control. I dosed chemiclean today and added an air stone in my sump. The box says to continue to run the skimmer but mine is going ape **** on the lowest setting. Its way oversized for my tank so it's set pretty low normally. I'm going to try and make a diy stand to hopefully get it to calm down. If I can't and have to run skimmer less during the treatment what's my best plan of attack for controlling the die off? Just swap filter socks daily and hope that removes enough?

I did a water change before and siphoned what I could in 15 gallons but my tank was covered when I came back this week and there's still a large amount in there.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm having the same problem. I cycled my tank for 6 months. Was doing good. Been doing wc weekly. Serm like it's not helping. I'm going to use chemiclean myself. Should arrive in a day or 2

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'm having the same problem. I cycled my tank for 6 months. Was doing good. Been doing wc weekly. Serm like it's not helping. I'm going to use chemiclean myself. Should arrive in a day or 2
Yeah its a pain, i've never let it get this out of control before. As i was siphoning sections out i realized the mat had gotten so thick it was trapping massive amounts of detritus. Every nook and cranny was packed with it under teh cyano. I also pulled my light and cleaned out my overflow. I think that was my root cause. I pulled a pretty thick bed of detritus from in there.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah its a pain, i've never let it get this out of control before. As i was siphoning sections out i realized the mat had gotten so thick it was trapping massive amounts of detritus. Every nook and cranny was packed with it under teh cyano. I also pulled my light and cleaned out my overflow. I think that was my root cause. I pulled a pretty thick bed of detritus from in there.
i don't think it is trapping detritus. the detritus is there just the cyano growing over it. i think that is the root cause no enough flow to blow the detritus off the rocks and it starts there then spread to other areas. that my take on it. i use to turkey bast my rocks once a week.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
i don't think it is trapping detritus. the detritus is there just the cyano growing over it. i think that is the root cause no enough flow to blow the detritus off the rocks and it starts there then spread to other areas. that my take on it. i use to turkey bast my rocks once a week.
Possibly but I've never noticed it before. I've got a gyre 150 @ 90% and 2 mp40qds that maxout in reef mode in a 100g 48x24 footprint.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
depending on aquascape. i use to have 2 mp40 and 2 6105 on a 120 too but the 6105 would blow on the rocks
Possibly but I've never noticed it before. I've got a gyre 150 @ 90% and 2 mp40qds that maxout in reef mode in a 100g 48x24 footprint.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
im also fighting small patches of cyano. Mine are on my sand bend and not on any of my rocks. I started Chemiclean yesterday, do you guys dose more than once?

I also started to run my light with only actinic and all red and green is off

im also fighting small patches of cyano. Mine are on my sand bend and not on any of my rocks. I started Chemiclean yesterday, do you guys dose more than once?

I also started to run my light with only actinic and all red and green is off
Mine cyano was gone after 3-4 days. I did a WC after 48 hours but it continue to work after the WC in my tank. Had to do another treatment after 4-6months

Not when I did mine. But when I did mine it wasn't much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 I didn't have the pink color when I treated.

Last edited:
Mine cyano was gone after 3-4 days. I did a WC after 48 hours but it continue to work after the WC in my tank. Had to do another treatment after 4-6months

+1 I didn't have the pick color when I treated.
I had to treat after 4-6 months as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yeah, I think im in trouble. Total RTN on two pieces. Emergency fragged my TGC Event Horizon but not holding out hope, shed half its skin in 2 hours. Water is super murky white now. Coral warfare or what?

Things i did today
25g water change and mixing salt for another tomorrow
Fresh carbon with a higher than normal flow rate in the reactor.
Skimming wet
Fragging things that are starting to RTN. Looks like my PC Rainbow, Pink Lemonade and some millies are next.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Oh yeah, both nems are closed up tight. Thatll be a A-bomb from hell so fingers crossed on that.

Latest posts