Hello from Brea

BrianDJS

Hello all-
My name is Brian
I live in North OC, Brea.
I have inherited a 150g (84x18x24) mature mixed reef tank from a friend who was moving. I do 10% weekly water changes, and run a Bak Pak HOB protein skimmer. My lighting setup consists of 15x par 30 LED white, and 4x ABI Blue LED par 30. I have not been able to find the white pars anywhere to replace the couple that have died. I run a couple old Hydor powerheads.
I am brand new to this hobby- since september 1. I currently have 2x clowns, a pajama cardinalfish, an orchid dottyback, a yellow tang, and a blue hippo. I have about 200lbs of live rock, multiple corals which i am still learning the names of, including a bunch of xenias i cant get rid of! I have a huge condi, and 2 red bubble tips in there. A bunch of snails and hermit crabs.
I am currently awaiting my RODI order from marine depot, i am already tired of buying water every week. I hope to update my lighting, and the canopy with it. And I am debating installing a refugium beneath my tank, but that is lowest on my list.
My water parameters are as follows- ammonia 2ppm, ph 8.2, water temp 75, and only 840 magnesium. Those numbers are from memory as i am currently at work, i cannot remember nitrate and nitrite, but they were nothing concerning. Ammonia is concerning. Calcium is unknown, as i do not have a test- which brings me to my first question. Should i buy a red sea calcium test kit? or does anyone have a favorite test kit?

I would love to hear from any of you who can offer help. I'm looking to update my powerheads, lighting, and replumb my system to make RODI readily available for topoffs and salt water mixing.

The picture attached is of my tank while i was in the middle of a diatom bloom. The addition of 3 conches from Ali at Amazing Aquariums fixed it within 4 days.

Thank you!

Attachments

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
welcome! I'd have that ammonia retested. I'd think that much ammonia will definitely be visible on all things living in your tank. Getting the RODI unit is a good start. Does your tank have a sump? If not I'd say that should be priority as I'm pretty sure the skimmer is underpowered for that size tank

Welcome aboard! Retest you ammonia. 2ppm is deadly for fish if it is. I like salifert and red sea test kits. Your magnesim is way too low. Need it to be around 1260 to 1350ppm. What test kit are you using current?

BrianDJS

Welcome aboard! Retest you ammonia. 2ppm is deadly for fish if it is. I like salifert and red sea test kits. Your magnesim is way too low. Need it to be around 1260 to 1350ppm. What test kit are you using current?
I have red sea magnesium pro, and red sea marine care teat kits. Human error on the first round. Fish are happy. See photo, not sure if it will attach or not. 0ppm.

I found an api calcium test kit in my box of stuff, looks like 400ppm. Im ordering a red sea calcium test.

What magnesium supplements do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I have red sea magnesium pro, and red sea marine care teat kits. Human error on the first round. Fish are happy. See photo, not sure if it will attach or not. 0ppm.

I found an api calcium test kit in my box of stuff, looks like 400ppm. Im ordering a red sea calcium test.

What magnesium supplements do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Ok good. Scary to have ammonia at all. Im using brightwell mag right now but brs ones are good and its cheaper. Calcium need to come up a lil to 420ppm

Last edited: