Aiptasia, vermetid snails, and bubble tips...

BrianDJS

Hi all-
I have a few newbie questions...
1. I recently learned about aiptasia and that it is bad. I also learned that i have a good amount in my tank. Is a peppermint shrimp the right remedy here?

2. Vermetid snails- aside from super glue, is there another fix? Can i just break them off? I have a lot, 99% are on undersides of rock.

3. When i acquired my tank, it came with 1 red bubble tip anemone. About a month ago, i watched it split which was quite a sight. Then yesterday i noticed it split again. So questions i have are- is the anemone stressed? Happy? Is this normal? I like these anemones and would be willing to trade if anyone has a green tip in the same situation. Which leads to my final question- how do you get them to detach without hurting them?

Thank you in advance.
Brian from Brea.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

As far as the peppermint go, you'll get mixed feedback. Some peeps have had their shrimps nip or kill soft corals such as zoas, acans, etc., I however have used them on more than one occasion & have had 0 issues with them and have been aiptasia free for a while now. The trick is to feed your tank heavy prior to adding them, then starving it for 2-3 days, the peppermints will go after the aiptasia. If you. Once they develop the taste they'll keep going after them. As far as the splitting goes, I had mine split not that long ago. I will however state my mag was very low during that time, after the split both pieces recovered well. From what ive read though is that they usially split when stressed, survival instincts.

BrianDJS

As far as the peppermint go, you'll get mixed feedback. Some peeps have had their shrimps nip or kill soft corals such as zoas, acans, etc., I however have used them on more than one occasion & have had 0 issues with them and have been aiptasia free for a while now. The trick is to feed your tank heavy prior to adding them, then starving it for 2-3 days, the peppermints will go after the aiptasia. If you. Once they develop the taste they'll keep going after them. As far as the splitting goes, I had mine split not that long ago. I will however state my mag was very low during that time, after the split both pieces recovered well. From what ive read though is that they usially split when stressed, survival instincts.
My mag is really low, waiting for a delivery of red sea abc+ from brs. Thank you for the reply.

BrianDJS

A happy nem will grow and then split as it runs out of space. A stressed nem will split continuously. Many people split their nems on purpose in order to sell them.

www.LAreefsociety.org
Thanks. My water seems to be under control despite having low magnesium. I keep them in the same spot and try not to stress them out.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Good luck to your nem. sometimes things happen. there are many ways to grow a successful reef tank. glad to have you at SCR.

BrianDJS

I picked up some peppermint shrimp today from reef lounge. My orchid dottyback doesnt like them. Hopefully they will learn to live together.

I still have a filefish if you want to give it a try. It devoured mine a few months ago. Eats anything you throw at it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BrianDJS

I still have a filefish if you want to give it a try. It devoured mine a few months ago. Eats anything you throw at it

Are your other corals and fish safe from it?

BrianDJS

When I introduced him to my tank yes. Haven't tried to put him in another one. The guy I got it from had really good luck with him as well

Do you wanna get rid of him?

I had mix reviews with Peppermint shrimp. My first one didn't touch it for days, then when it finally started to get rid of one, he then disappeared from my tank. I have a feeling my wrasse ate him. A few weeks later, I got 2 and they instantly went for my aptasia.

My tank has been aptasia free for a while. I gave one peppermint away and kept one because I can't seem to catch him.

BrianDJS

I had mix reviews with Peppermint shrimp. My first one didn't touch it for days, then when it finally started to get rid of one, he then disappeared from my tank. I have a feeling my wrasse ate him. A few weeks later, I got 2 and they instantly went for my aptasia.

My tank has been aptasia free for a while. I gave one peppermint away and kept one because I can't seem to catch him.
I saw 1 of the 6 i bought the following morning. That was sunday morning, nothing since.
Jorge loaned me his filefish yesterday, it is in my tank today and getting used to it. Im hoping he gets hungry and eats the aiptasia.

My dottyback went after those shrimp immediately. $30 meal for him.

Latest posts