Possible SPS pest?

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I had bite marks on my sps' tips that I assumed was my potter angelfish. I caught him Sunday night before I left for the week. I came home today (the potters was in the trap all week) and my sps are noticeably worse. Mostly the tips are affected but two smaller frags are missing some flesh on the new encrusting area. This is only on a few pieces that are smaller colonies.

I have a midas blenny and copperband but have never witnessed any interest in coral. My alk has been at 8.9 and Cal and Mag 500/1500.

Is there a certain pest thats known to affect the tips of acros? Millepora and monti seem to be unaffected. Just some of the acros.

Marty.h

AEFW

Acro eating Flatworms but they normally munch in patches and quite noticeable.

Any chance the tips have got burnt have you altered lighting at all or done anything to alter clarity ect

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I've been adding some macrobacter 7 2x a week to help water clarity. I plan to dip and see what i get. Problem is i use bayers and can never see what falls off in the white water. I raised my lights a few inches before i left because i felt i got better polyp extension before.

Example picture.

Its also affecting my AOA chemical warfare (almost dead), my growout competition piece and PC rainbow.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
AEFW

Acro eating Flatworms but they normally munch in patches and quite noticeable.

Any chance the tips have got burnt have you altered lighting at all or done anything to alter clarity ect
That would suck. I thought i saw a small flat like worm near them last week, but i have a bunch of baby snails....at least i hope thats what they are.

Dropping your nutrients fast on top of higher alk can do that. Looks like burnt tips to me.

Get the poopoo up. Next time you want clear water go with some purigen. Does a crazy good job
of polishing that water to crystal clear.

Hey Ev'e. It's been stable right about 9 for a good while now.
Dropping your nutrients fast on top of higher alk can do that. Looks like burnt tips to me.
9 is a little on the high side if your nutrients are low. Try 8 and see if the tips recover. I found that 8 is the magic number for me but I an running a ULNS.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'll check my nitrates again tomorrow. It looks like 10 last time I check on salifert. Phosphates nevery register but I've got algae like mad so I think it's there.

Calreef18

Added anything new lately? If it isn't a water quality issue I've had problems in the past with a rogue hairy crab that came in on a coral I added. Had what looked like chewed/broken tips until I spotted the guy at night coming out and eating chunks of sps.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Just a small OP frag from RAP and a maxima clam. Clam didnt get dipped but was told they raised it in house for a long period.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
looks like bite marks to me but not AEFW, Pycnogonid or AE snails. it looks like chunks were taken out or something bumped into it and broke the tip. away to tell if its an alk burn is that the tip itself will be soft. squeeze the tip and if it crumbles from squeezing it the its alk burn.

P.S. omg look at that bubble algae! lol j/k

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
looks like bite marks to me but not AEFW, Pycnogonid or AE snails. it looks like chunks were taken out or something bumped into it and broke the tip. away to tell if its an alk burn is that the tip itself will be soft. squeeze the tip and if it crumbles from squeezing it the its alk burn.

P.S. omg look at that bubble algae! lol j/k
I'm going to do a dip tomorrow on the chemical warfare and see if i find anything. I dip in bayers so I'm going to try and strain it through a coffee filter and see what i find.

And yeah....that section is pretty average for my whole tank on the BA. Crazy how its taken off!

Last edited: