Bryopsis vs Magnesium Challenge

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
Time to knock out this minor bryopsis problem. My mag was already at 1500, so I dosed 18ml of Brightwell Aquatics Hydrat-Mg. Yes, Brightwell not Kent Marine Tech M as they changed the formula. So then my mag was at 1560 using Salifert test kit. The next day I lowered my regular magnesium supplement from 150ml down to 100ml. Later in the day I checked the mag level and it came down a bit (1500) so I dosed another 5ml. I will probably test one more time tonight to see where it's at. Tomorrow I will dose somewhere around 25ml to 30ml plus my normal mag dose that's 100ml. Goal is to see if holding a magnesium level of 1560 for 2-3 weeks will kill the bryopsis. I know some will say it has to be much higher, but let's see what happens.

I had some in my chaeto that I hand plucked out. It look like it was messing with the chaeto structure.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow but the problem is pretty minor. When I scrapped the back wall of coraline I noticed a few weeks later baby bryopsis sprouting so I want to nip it in the but.

If I get rid of it I will have to do some water changes and or put a poly filter in as this magnesium is considered "dirty". Then switch back to my clean mag as Hydrat-Mg is not considered to be a long term use mag.

Last edited:
They changed TechM? That sucks. I still have a jug from when I used it a few years ago. It was the only thing that worked on my bryopsis.

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
They changed TechM? That sucks. I still have a jug from when I used it a few years ago. It was the only thing that worked on my bryopsis.
Yeah, you might want to hold on to that jug if it's the old stuff. The original owner Jack Kent sold the company and the new owner changed the formula. Now Jack's with Continuum and the sister co is Brightwell. I think that's correct, don't quote me on it though. I talked to Continuum/Brightwell at their RAP both, and they indicated the Hydrat-Mg is the stuff to get.

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
One thing I found out is Hydrat-Mg can raise your calcium. I kept lowering my calcium dosage but the ca remained high. Then it brought my alk down as the calcium was so high. Currently 475 ca.

Bryopsis still there also . Frustrating, I'll try another week of this mag treatment.

Last edited:

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
That's not right, I think my calcium mix must have been wrong. **** looks like a screwed up....at least I'm on it.

organism

2020 POTM
I'd be really surprised if high mag killed bryopsis, people have tried a bunch of times. It's not the magnesium that does it, it's a contaminant from some of the large holding containers Kent uses to store Tech-M before bottling it.

CoralNerd

CoralNerd
Supporter
I'd be really surprised if high mag killed bryopsis, people have tried a bunch of times. It's not the magnesium that does it, it's a contaminant from some of the large holding containers Kent uses to store Tech-M before bottling it.
What would you suggest as an alternative?

First I have heard of that! Where did you get that info Miguel? I have heard from very reliable source that it was an impurity found in their magnesium supply. This was why it was only the Kent product that worked. Most everyone else uses a higher grade of magnesium for their supplements. Per my source, that impurity is lithium.

Latest posts