Bio Pellets/ Reactor Question

Looking to remove nitrate and phosphate I have heard getting one of these could be useful. Has anyone had luck with bio pellets removing nitrate and phosphate?

I run bio pellets and gfo. But I have a really high bio load. I have big fish in a 180. It is a delicate balance. Its very easy to strip the tank of nutrient. Or to have your nutrients out of balance.

If you could tell us about your tank. Including parameters. This would help give advice.

ChevelleJason

Premium Member
Supporter
I have pellets and they do work but it's a love hate relationship. Very little adjustability and I have had to start dosing nitrates because of an imbalance between phosphate and nitrate. The bacteria requires both phos and nit to process one or the other. My nitrates are undetectable but my phosphate is still there. I fought a cyano bloom because apparently cyano only need phos to survive. If you're good with paying attention to your tank and monitoring levels, biopellets are good IMO.

I have a 125 and 6 tangs and total 12 fish so heavy bioload. I have 2 protein skimmers but thats not enough. 100+ppm nitrates and 1.0ppm phos currently. I could increase water changes but dont think that will be enough

Latest posts