Who runs carbon on their aquarium? and I finally revealed my secret...

I always run a little carbon and gfo mixed bed in a reactor. I think you speak at a very good speed for what it's worth ;)

Hi Louise! I like your videos.

I run a bit of carbon once a month or so. Marc Levenson says to run flow through it slowly and that it will polish the water and be used up in a few days and then does very little, which I agree with, so based on that I just put a bit in a reactor once a month.

Playa, my understanding is that GFO is meant to tumble, carbon is NOT meant to tumble. Tumbling carbon breaks it down into dust and that leads to fish ailments. This is a why most folks do not mix them.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi Louise! I like your videos.

I run a bit of carbon once a month or so. Marc Levenson says to run flow through it slowly and that it will polish the water and be used up in a few days and then does very little, which I agree with, so based on that I just put a bit in a reactor once a month.

Playa, my understanding is that GFO is meant to tumble, carbon is NOT meant to tumble. Tumbling carbon breaks it down into dust and that leads to fish ailments. This is a why most folks do not mix them.
If you mix gfo and carbon, the gfo won't clump and will be fine and doesn't need to tumble.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
I also run carbon, always have. FYI I've never noticed the speed of your speech or realized it was an issue for some, either way kudos and keep up the good work on your vids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyone that trolls you like that or has the nerve to critique you in that manner can suck it. Kudos to you to face and overcome your challenges and please continue on with your episodes. And just like everyone else mentioned, I didn't even notice, in fact I thought you were just being professional and clear. It's a shame you'd even feel the pressure by others to have to explain yourself. Next time anyone gives you pressure or critiques you superficially, tell that person to kick rocks and go follow the other vlogger that looks like the dude from blues clues.

pgr11

Supporter
[MENTION=10887]Loumaggs[/MENTION] I used to run carbon all the time and loved how clear my water was. As time has gone on I have gotten lazy and stopped. After watching your video I'm going to start again. My tank has suffered due to my lack of maintenance but I'm working now to turn things around. Thanks for contributing to our forum.

Concerning your second video, I've never noticed a slow speech issue at all. Had you never said anything, I would never had known there was a problem. Keep up the great work and don't let the haters bother you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If you mix gfo and carbon, the gfo won't clump and will be fine and doesn't need to tumble.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Cool, I'll have to try that. I have always heard of people mixing and then tumbling the mix which led to issues of breaking down the carbon. Good info if the GFO still works fine without tumbling when mixed with carbon.

I run carbon on my tanks 24/7 and for the past 10+ years I run it in a fluidized reactor. I run fine carbon about the size of pencil lead.

There are differences between tumbling and fluidized. Fluidized suspend all the media and there is no pressure so it's not grinding away.

I have been using carbon for over 30 years and never had issues with HLLE that some people complain on. And in fact have literrally purchased 100's of HLLE purple tangs over the years and healed them and rehomed them while running carbon.

I only run maybe 4 cups of carbon at a time. It is really only effective for about a week, but laziness means I only change it once a month. Check out the Ultra Reef Fluidized reactor for a quick easy way to fill, rinse, and fluidize without making a mess.

Dave B

What I want to know is, why do you speak so HOTLY? ;) Love the accent.

Anyways keep on reefing, I've watched several of your videos. Very brave of you to share your story and bring awareness to the issue.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
I too been running carbon 24/7 for past 10 years. I too am lazy to change it out every month. I fill my aquamax reactor to the top and run it with a small pump tangs with hlle and they heal back.

Carbon here too. Most sustainable way for me is to buy bulk of the cheapest carbon available, setup 3-5 cheap reactors (2 little fishes, most i found at LFSs used from quitters) with their own 200gph pumps at a time, & have them dump into a fine filter sock, then swap them out every 2 months. So setup is a yearly thing. The carbon fine / HLLED study has validity to me as it is one of very few valid studies on this hobby, not "experience" from hobbiests deep in the pissing contest or advice from selllers.

& the way you speak I assumed was the proper way to speak english. Its your language after all. American english...LOL. Yeah.