KH Guardian Alkalinity Monitor

So CoralVue is about to release the KH Guardian Alkalinity Monitor. Bummer its over $1,000 but with time I think others will be more affordable.

Any ballers going to get one? You can save a couple hundred bucks if you get one at the intro price. First 100.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'll wait since I still don't have much interest in corals lol if it were maybe 6-700 yeah but 1k for something that is being released so early man that is a lot... I'm sure some people with deep pockets might try it but there is also the fear of mechanical issues specially around saltwater but will be interesting to see what others come up with.

A grand is way out of my price range, but I've been reading up on all the new alk monitors. I'm excited to see the progression of all of them.

I'll be waiting for the GHL model to come out. I'm hoping they will ditch all the reagent crap and use an alk probe that is used in industrials applications. I just picked up their P4 and dosers so it would be a sweet addition to my setup.

Seem cool but I don't need to know alk levels more than once a day and dosing based on a predetermined level is convenient but that's just another risk for me to crash my tank due to some malfunction.

Looks like another untested Chinese "innovation" ready to be experimented on American consumers at US retail costs. If this thing was priced more reasonably and was more extensively tested, then maaaaybe I'd consider it. But I'd much rather save my money for a Neptune or GHL solution. Oh, or the Mindstream....IF it ever even comes out.

I met the INVENTOR of this gadget last month while in China. I was there for the world's second largest trade show CIPS (China International Pet Show) and this inventor was sharing a booth with a friend of mine

Side note, its NOT Chinese, its Taiwanese. The Taiwanese quality standard is near and sometimes surpasses US quality on their goods.

Unfortunately for Taiwan, they are an independent country with their own military, government and strong economy but US still won't recognize them as a true country (thats another subject)

Anyways, the inventor has been working on this unit for years, supposedly near fail proof. While talking to the guy for 20+ mins, I got to hold the unit, check out the features and see how the data is inputted onto a nearby computer.

The inventor said that Neptune Sys. wanted his tech, patent rights and exclusiveness for their controller but he refused their terms. I'll leave it at that for y'all to speculate why.

I do believe that there is enough cost in R&D, software, and quality material to justify the $1K+ retail price tag. But there is so much things myself and 95% of us here can do with that much money versus knowing how our Alk level is every 30-45 mins.

So I'm gonna settle with my Salifert alk test that has been pretty solid for me all these years.

For the deep pocket baller, frag-star-millionare farmers and coral wholesalers this unit could be worth it.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
always scary to jump first as it's unproven and failure can be catastrophic. However, so many things have entered this hobby at remarkably high costs with push back. If it proves itself then there will be competition, and when there's competition, there will be competitive pricing. We used to spend north of $500 on a single mp40 and that's just a pump. If this piece of tech can make a significant improvement to mortality rate, growth, coloration, and stable parameters for coral. What I'm really concerned with is the support that's gonna come with it. Cuz if I spend $1k I better get more than just an email only response from across the ocean.

Even thou I don't have a ton of high end sps yet

I feel like knowing your all levels at all times will truly be the game changer in how stable your tank is

I mean isn't alk swings one of the biggest killers of sps?

Even thou I don't have a ton of high end sps yet

I feel like knowing your all levels at all times will truly be the game changer in how stable your tank is

I mean isn't alk swings one of the biggest killers of sps?
Yep. I think the downside with this particular product is the built in pump that actually dosing the tank. I'm with others that I wouldn't want that. I'd strictly want it to monitor the alk. Then you can make the adjustment yourself if their is a problem.

I'll be waiting for the GHL model to come out. I'm hoping they will ditch all the reagent crap and use an alk probe that is used in industrials applications. I just picked up their P4 and dosers so it would be a sweet addition to my setup.
Good luck with that. Everyone of these hobbyist monitors seems to be using the same tech to get this done. They all want to talk about a patent and such but reality is the information on how to do this is out there on the internet. If you have the technical background, it can be done. Jim Welsh took about a month to figure out how to build his (the one Nepute will be building). Then again, he is a chemist.

Good luck with that. Everyone of these hobbyist monitors seems to be using the same tech to get this done. They all want to talk about a patent and such but reality is the information on how to do this is out there on the internet. If you have the technical background, it can be done. Jim Welsh took about a month to figure out how to build his (the one Nepute will be building). Then again, he is a chemist.
Ghl has been working on theirs for going on 2 years now. The issue is not getting the technolgy to work because it has been around forever but intergrating it into their controllers and being able to manufacter the components in house to make them affordable to hobbyists. Time will tell though. My new build will be managed by both a ghl and an apex so I guess it doesnt matter who figures it out first. Then again its only for piece of mind since I run a calcium reactor that is pretty stable anyway.

Latest posts