Need Ideas for DIY Filter Floss Tray to Replace Filter Socks

So I have come to the conclusion that even nylon socks are a pain in the butt to maintain for me. So I have given up on any sort of mechanical filtering for the moment and I am paying the hefty price if detritus in my sump. In my nano tanks, I've found filter floss a lot more convenient since it can be easily discarded and replaced; plus, it's pretty cheap.

So thinking ahead to my next tank, I will have some kind of filter floss tray designed where the water can be filtered. But in the mean time, I want to implement this with my current sump in efforts to avoid buildups in the sump. I was thinking of cutting out the interior part of the sock tray and place some kind of tray fitting on top of it. I'm just not very handy with acrylic and cutting, especially while there is water in the sump.

Here is a picture of the sock filter holders. Anyone have any ideas as to how to implement this as painlessly as possible?

reefsUP

You can use 7" plastic buckets from big lots they have a rim on the it should sit right on the holder you just need to drill it or slots like a strainers to keep the floss inside without it flowing .

So I have come to the conclusion that even nylon socks are a pain in the butt to maintain for me. So I have given up on any sort of mechanical filtering for the moment and I am paying the hefty price if detritus in my sump. In my nano tanks, I've found filter floss a lot more convenient since it can be easily discarded and replaced; plus, it's pretty cheap.

So thinking ahead to my next tank, I will have some kind of filter floss tray designed where the water can be filtered. But in the mean time, I want to implement this with my current sump in efforts to avoid buildups in the sump. I was thinking of cutting out the interior part of the sock tray and place some kind of tray fitting on top of it. I'm just not very handy with acrylic and cutting, especially while there is water in the sump.

Here is a picture of the sock filter holders. Anyone have any ideas as to how to implement this as painlessly as possible?

You can go fabric store to get poly sheet which used for pillow. They are like couple bucks for sq Yard. Roll it around inside your filter sock.