Drilled 10 gallon

dbk07

Has anyone ever drilled a regular old 10 gallon tank? I keep reading it's not wise to do because of how thin the glass is and even if it didn't break during the cutting there's a chance just nudging the plumbing cracks it. I was playing around with the idea of getting rid of my hob stuff and giving my nano a sump. I'm not really committed to the idea but thought I'd ask around for anyone's experiences.

dbk07

Here's my tank to give you guys an idea of what I'm working with.
I don't mind drilling it myself, I was just wondering if its worth it on a tank with glass so thin. I set it up with the intention of using things I had already so that's why I didn't go and buy another tank.
10gallon.jpg

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
What brand is the tank? First thing you need to do is make sure it's not tempered glass as that will shatter when you try to drill it.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Also I have a 10g just sitting in my garage. If you decide to sump it and DIY you're free to have it. Its just your standard aqueon 10g

dbk07

I bought it a few years ago at either a Petsmart or Petco. I want to say its an Aqueon but honestly I don't remember.

Atoll

I've drilled a few tanks in my day but never a 10 gallon aquarium. I had a friend that used a 10 gallon aquarium to practice drilling a hole. He succeeded but never used it for anything other than practice. If the return was hard lined, the slightest bump would pop the glass do to the leverage/torque being applied to that return bulkhead. At minimum use a flexible/pliable/soft return line to reduce the stress on the return bulkhead.

Atoll

Good luck, watch many Youtube videos, slow even pressure when drilling, keep the water fresh, and most importantly don't forget to set the clutch really low on the drill.

Atoll

def. don't hard plumb the drain.........bulkhead, 90 elbow, flexible hose for the drain and glue them up! Then just do another 90 in the display....don't glue that 90 so that your able to rotate that a lil to control water level a little bit and to silent the drain noise down a little bit. Its only 10 gallons so no need for a large pump. Slow to med flow through the sump isn't always bad. If the tank breaks, you have to buy a new one! breaking rules is was makes this hobby fun. Just take it slow with even pressure perpendicular to the glass with the clutch on the drill set low to break torque incase you get hung up. If the clutch is set too high and it catches......you will break the glass. I like to use a Styrofoam template to start my hole while steadily pouring(water/ position the garden hose running steadily on the templet)preventing the hole saw from walking on you when you initially have to start drilling. Once its etched in descent enough....use putty to create your water reservoir to hold water while drilling from there.

dbk07

Well, I've decided against drilling this tank. I'm starting to feel the risk isn't worth it. Currents plans are to keep it running as is until I custom make a 10g with thicker glass or get one of those Aquamaxx tanks.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
I had a drilled 10 gallon under my old frag tank. It was also hard plumbed with the pump external. Had it like that for 2 years no issues. Carfull drilling it as they do chip and crack easy.

Atoll

AquaMaxx Long Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium - 12 Gallon would be awesome to build. Dimensions are L x W x H: 35.5" x 7.9" x 9.9" for 109.99 @ marinedepot.

dbk07

Since petco is doing $1 per gallon I was thinking about getting a 20 long and sumping it haha. Would be cheaper than the aquamaxx

dbk07

So I was planning on using an overflow kit I saw here. But at 1-1/2" wide, how would I plumb that? There'd be no room for anything besides the bulkhead. Any advice?

Latest posts