Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Culturing Phyto on a Petri Dish

I started a thread relating to culturing phyto the "normal" way (using jars, lights, water, fertilizer, and an air pump) but i feel like culturing them in Petri dishes is more convenient and saves space. I'm just wondering if anyone has done so. I'm purchasing Petri dishes anytime this month so if anyone has any experience with them drop a post below

Currently I am following this to create the agar for the culture

Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man. That is way more work than bottle culture.

Do you have access to a centrifuge, lab blender and temperature controlled water bath?

The cool thing about this procedure is that its mention of the zooxanthelle homogenization technique is essentially what some of these designer coral places are supposedly doing in order to have the wild colored favites and brain coral that they do. I'm not exactly sure how the process that they do works, but it is all one step in the process, and something that I have wanted to do since getting into this hobby.

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Oh man. That is way more work than bottle culture.

Do you have access to a centrifuge, lab blender and temperature controlled water bath?

The cool thing about this procedure is that its mention of the zooxanthelle homogenization technique is essentially what some of these designer coral places are supposedly doing in order to have the wild colored favites and brain coral that they do. I'm not exactly sure how the process that they do works, but it is all one step in the process, and something that I have wanted to do since getting into this hobby.
    I do have access to those thru my chem teacher but I actually don't need it. The essential things I would need would just be a light source, Petri dish, inoculating loop, flame source, autoclave, agar, and f/2 medium. According to my teacher the things I would need to do is create a f/2 agar medium, autoclave it, isolate the colony thru streaking to prevent contamination,seed it with nylon messes and place them in the agar cultures with a 12/12 light cycle and bam you got your cultures aha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Document as much as you can. If you can do it, it'll be great.

Sent using TAPATALK via Android

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Document as much as you can. If you can do it, it'll be great.

Sent using TAPATALK via Android
    For sure aha I'll take videos of the process

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just purchased the agar and Petri dish
    I got an inoculating loop from my teacher, torch from my dad, t5s from an old setup, and f/2 and culture from the previous culture
    As soon as the agar and Petri dish comes in I'll get started and post and update

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting. I think you must scale up in a liquid medium. there seems to be just too little volume on a 5-10ml plate. plates are usually used for selecting colonies; i think you want a large number of plankton species and lots of each.

BTW, I just did this exact thing for my kids science fair project. You can go cheap by making your own medium
    https://www.madaboutscience.com.au/s...age=page&id=43
    you can boil the agar instead of autoclaving.
    you can make your own loop from a coat hanger and use a natural gas range flame to sterilize.

or you can buy ready made plates/swabs, etc.

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    interesting. I think you must scale up in a liquid medium. there seems to be just too little volume on a 5-10ml plate. plates are usually used for selecting colonies; i think you want a large number of plankton species and lots of each.

BTW, I just did this exact thing for my kids science fair project. You can go cheap by making your own medium
    https://www.madaboutscience.com.au/s...age=page&id=43
    you can boil the agar instead of autoclaving.
    you can make your own loop from a coat hanger and use a natural gas range flame to sterilize.

or you can buy ready made plates/swabs, etc.
    That's awesome how did the project turn out? Florida Farms actually sells in disk and claims to be work as much as a 500ml so I wanted to see if I could do it. If it gets as dense as theirs then that's way better than culturing it in water aha. Oh for the medium I'm mixing the agar, saltwater and f/2 medium I use with my current culture. I got the inoculation loop for free plus I have access to an autoclave so I might as well use it ahaha. Thanks for the link btw

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpapii View Post
    That's awesome how did the project turn out? Florida Farms actually sells in disk and claims to be work as much as a 500ml so I wanted to see if I could do it. If it gets as dense as theirs then that's way better than culturing it in water aha. Oh for the medium I'm mixing the agar, saltwater and f/2 medium I use with my current culture. I got the inoculation loop for free plus I have access to an autoclave so I might as well use it ahaha. Thanks for the link btw

My son won his division in the LA county science fair and almost state. The plates were a small part of his project. I just wanted to introduce him to bacteria and culturing.

I did so much mulecular genetics in college then biotech, from original sequences, to insertion, expression, all the way to large scale growth, protein extraction and purifcation for biologic drugs. I can assure you industrial scale up was done in a dozen 10,000 gallon vats like a beer brewery. Good times.

Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do u dose it though? Put the whole agar in the water?

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    My son won his division in the LA county science fair and almost state. The plates were a small part of his project. I just wanted to introduce him to bacteria and culturing.

I did so much mulecular genetics in college then biotech, from original sequences, to insertion, expression, all the way to large scale growth, protein extraction and purifcation for biologic drugs. I can assure you industrial scale up was done in a dozen 10,000 gallon vats like a beer brewery. Good times.
    That's so cool aha tell him congrats
    I'm actually gonna be a biotech major at UCI or Cal Poly next year.

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Culturing Phyto on a Petri Dish

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
    How do u dose it though? Put the whole agar in the water?
    Yea you would put a little bit of new saltwater in the agar a day before use to loosen it up then the next day mix it with water and bam instant live phyto ahaha

Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what's the affect of the agar in your system? Just excess nutrients?

Registered Member
    Name
    Jacob
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
    But what's the affect of the agar in your system? Just excess nutrients?
    It would be exactly the same as if I would culture it in water. I'm going to be using the ratio of f/2 medium as I would with water so it would be equivalent to dosing "regular" phyto. The agar itself does not have much effect since it would only be about 3mm thick plus the chemical formula is C14H24O9. It would be similar to sugar dosing which in facts lowers your nitrates.

Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacob, I have gang valves on order from China, and other parts comming, I'm gonna be hitting u up for a starter culture of phyto, do u also have cultures of pods? Not a mix though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information