Culturing Phyto on a Petri Dish

Bigpapii

And it would actually show if the cells get embedded into the agar too. If access to the nutrient is via the surface area only, this would save nutrient and save nutrient being intro to the tank. But I am sure the agar needs to be a certain thickness to provide proper moisture. How did u autoclave it BTW?
Idk I'll test that out with the next batch. I have access to an autoclave from my teacher and my neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigpapii

Update on cultures

FLASK:

PETRI DISH:
The rest of the agar culture aren't growing so I'm only keeping the one that did and two others just in case. The rest I discarded

For the new batch I used less f/2 and less agar

Then seeded it with a very concentrated amount of phyto obtained from the flask culture

Then flipped it so condensed water doesn't fall onto culture

Bigpapii

Created a second culture for seeding Petri dishes just incase the flask crashes

Update on flask

Fizzman

That light bar u have are you putting the dish on top of it? Seems like it will provide better intensity since light won't be at an angle. Maybe stack a blank on to raise it up to get coverage. Could probably be placed on the double florescent bulb too.

Bigpapii

That light bar u have are you putting the dish on top of it? Seems like it will provide better intensity since light won't be at an angle. Maybe stack a blank on to raise it up to get coverage. Could probably be placed on the double florescent bulb too.
Yea I was actually planning on raising it so the Petri dish can slide right under and the light shines on top. I just got it yesterday from my dad's work aha. It was just laying around. I've been busy so I haven't had time to build something to hold it up. For now it seems to be working. It's a 20 watt fixture so it pretty bright and since it's about only an inch away it should be fine til I build something. The lights pretty cool it's motion sensor so to turn it on or off you just wave at the sensor ahaha

Fizzman

Why shine down when the light has to go through the clouds agar and not put the dish on top since u flip it upside down, so the algae side is actually facing down. Did I get lost somewhere?

Bigpapii

Why shine down when the light has to go through the clouds agar and not put the dish on top since u flip it upside down, so the algae side is actually facing down. Did I get lost somewhere?
The only way to do that would to make a glass table and put the light under it. But I kinda don't want to spend money so this should be okay for now

Bigpapii

Sorry for the lack of updates
All of them grew a thick layer of phyto except one
Here's a few that grew

And here's the one that didn't
(It's actually darker in person, the lights in my bathroom are really bright)

Just right now I was about to rinse it out however I got curious of how much of this is worth in liquid form. I first poured water in the Petri dish to dilute the phyto. Then waited five minutes. Then poured it into a cup. I then watered it down til I got a density measurement of 1cm which is equivalent to ~27 million cells per ml. This is the same density when I usually harvest my liquid phyto culture. With only about 5% growth of phyto on the Petri dish I ended up with 6oz of very dense phytoplankton.

Im actually so shocked of how much that Petri dish is worth in liquid form

Fizzman

Any updates? Curious to see how much a full disclosure produce in liquid form [MENTION=11166]Bigpapii[/MENTION]

Bigpapii

Any updates? Curious to see how much a full disclosure produce in liquid form [MENTION=11166]Bigpapii[/MENTION]
I started a new batch. The first batch is in the fridge for storage. I'll use one when I get home for a demonstration of how much it's worth in liquid form and I'll post pics

Bigpapii

[MENTION=11166]Bigpapii[/MENTION]
:/ i took a video of when I watered down the Petri dish but my phone died and when I turned it on the video wasn't there....
Anyways I have a pic of the results
I watered down the concentrated solution until I got a one cm reading doing the straw test
I ended up with 35ml which is just over a liter

Latest posts