User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contributing Member All Delight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LFS could stock up on knick knacks. Frag disc, glue, fish medication, additives, light bulbs, salt, etc. Stay away from high dollar equipment that rarely sells. Perhaps offer it at online prices, but all special order.

Contributing Member All Delight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reefes pieces View Post
    There's only one major difference between an LFS and online stores for the average consumer and that is having a human presence. I'm far too under qualified to present the appropriate business model but the common theme to a successful LFS is the person behind the counter. Far too often niche and hobby markets employ very knowledgeable people in their industry that lack soft skills and approachability. They may have the best selection of everything but their success will be marginal if that. Great stores employ knowledgeable people that are attentive to every customer that walks in and voluntarily shares their wisdom to every customer whether they're buying water or a turn key system. If they don't have that then what value do they present over the internet competitors?
    I agree. Jose brought up Ali's store. I love walking into Ali's. It's like that bar Cheers.

3. Likes reefes pieces liked this post
    Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Ali will treat you the same if you have 0 intentions of spending money and just want to kill time.
    Quote Originally Posted by All Delight View Post
    I agree. Jose brought up Ali's store. I love walking into Ali's. It's like that bar Cheers.
    120 Gallon tank with stuff that I'll eventually kill =/

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

that's what i said... and i get no like from mike.. LOL...

already disqualified... HAHAHAHALAKJDF:KLA:LFJAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

awesome responses guys. Keep them coming

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reefes pieces View Post
    I agree. Ali will treat you the same if you have 0 intentions of spending money and just want to kill time.
    He is a little handsy if you ask me.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 7th & 8th, 2017

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

Registered Member
    Name
    Tommy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel an LFS can compete if they price match online stores. I am specifically talking Dry goods as I don't buy live goods online because of the shipping costs. Before I visit a LFS, I have an idea of what the price should be. If it's way out of range, then I don't buy.

Name
    Shawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only when you show up in your daisy dukes
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
    He is a little handsy if you ask me.
    120 Gallon tank with stuff that I'll eventually kill =/

Name
    J
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by All Delight View Post
    LFS and online has their pros and cons. LFS needs to identify their pros and build on that. Rather than identifying their cons and trying to step up to meet or beat online stores. Prices? It's almost impossible for you to beat online. Inventory? You can't beat online, it will cost you too much to stock it all.

This is how I look at it. If you want to win a sport in the Olympics and you can enter high jump or 100 meter dash, why would you enter the 100 meter dash if you can't run fast. What's the point of training and trying to get to the level of your competition when the odds are stacked against you. But if you're a naturally a good jumper, then put forth your effort in excelling in that sport.

IMO LFS can excel in livestock. Everyone wants to see fish eat, swim, exact size, personality, etc. Same with corals, everyone wants to see coral under "white light" even though no one runs white light. I'll never get that reasoning. Anyways, LFS can take advantage of that market. Fish and coral are 100% impulsive purchases. Everyone in the hobby, buys that "last" fish. That one more coral. That fish they know will probably get beat up by their other fish. When's the last time you went and bought a skimmer or light on impulse.

Look at Tongs, huge selection of fish. And that register just keeps ringing.

Age of Aquariums, great store, nice overall selection, but their service maintenance keeps their doors open, not equipment sales or livestock sales to walk ins.

People won't buy a $20 fish online and pay $50 to ship. Nor do most people wants to spend enough money on fish to qualify for free shipping.

Identify your cliental and go after them. If you're a LFS your cliental isn't the customer who comes to your store, talk to you about skimmers for 30 mins, walks out the door saying he'll think about it, goes home and orders on amazon to save $6. If those are the customers you're trying to catch or appeal to you've already lost.
    This. The only way for an LFS to compete with online is by focusing on livestock. If I opened a LFS tomorrow it would be purely livestock with no dry goods other than food and medicine. Follow that up with friendly, knowledgeable customer service and a great selection of both fish and corals that appeals to both beginners and experts and you might just make a profit. I would also sell freshwater and nice Betas.
    "When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by N2SWIMN View Post
    I feel an LFS can compete if they price match online stores. I am specifically talking Dry goods as I don't buy live goods online because of the shipping costs. Before I visit a LFS, I have an idea of what the price should be. If it's way out of range, then I don't buy.
    Dry goods is a hard sale... Like the jebo stuff... Some wholesale places have them for the same amazon price... Most lfs only make like 3 bucks on them... But they're there to bring in people... But most dry goods are hard to compete with the online prices... Not that simple...

I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

Livin' the Reef Life
    Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is Ali and what store is his? #newguyhere #everyoneknowsalibutme

Name
    LowBaller
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdbannister View Post
    Who is Ali and what store is his? #newguyhere #everyoneknowsalibutme
    you mention amazing reefs and aquariums he is Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by mdbannister View Post
    I've not found any great places in the IE yet, but you mentioned LA too, so I'm assuming you're willing to drive a little. There are a number of good ones in the OC area like Cali Kid, Amazing Reefs and Aquariums, Ellis Aquatics, Coral Gazers, Reef Lounge, and Two Guys Corals (disclaimer: I've not been to TGC yet, but their reputation is solid for having excellent stuff). I know there are others I've not mentioned, but those can get you started if you're up for a drive.
    He says your pictures suck
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfish View Post
    Yep I love big wieners just like Schnitzel

14. Thanks mdbannister thanked for this post
    Likes mdbannister liked this post
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Price match guaranty, with a smile, not I am loosing money on this sale. (most will not even ask for it, but feel better you offer)

Salt and water at cost prices as this gets people in the store and they will end up buying a fish and everything else. (people do not like to ship salt capitalize on this)

Employees with a smile and good attitude and the more knowledge the better. (If your employee lives on his phone and is not approachable find a new one!)

Keep the store clean and get rid of the inventory that has not sold since the 80's(Age your inventory and blow out aged stuff on Ebay)

Diverse clean tanks with fish and corals.(This is why I go to the stores)

Good selection of parts I need in an emergency, plumbing, air pumps, medicine.

Social Media is key to any brick and mortar, if you are not working Instagram, Facebook, and your email you will fail in today's business culture. (Give people a reason to follow and if you post up a crazy fish that comes in your customers will post a link to it on the message boards, free advertisment
    Last edited by pciscott; 12-21-2016 at 12:58 PM.

16. Likes EyeReef, N2SWIMN, F-Dawg liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#1 stay in business.
    dont smoke your own supply, as in hording all the good stuff. everything is for sale. dont use your "store" (garage) to pay for your reefing addiction
    dont cut deals to cheap old reefers (like me) and homies; dont scare/abuse noobs. dont be a creepy reefing guru (like the comic book guys).
    have your personal finances squared away- no you will likley not get rich doing this

#2 I would have an up to the minute store website of livestock that (price matched) where people can order online then pickup same day. like th Home Depot model

#3 stay in business

#4 appeal to the 20-50 year old male crowd. would it kill you to have an attractive face at the counter ?!?!

Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The necessity for a Local Fish Store to acquire visits from an Online Retail Customer is the same as online stores that are successful.

Cleanliness and organization is the key for a customer to find the products they want, along with the price listed clearly; when prices change from moment to moment, during the same visit, the customer does not return.

Choice of product, at a scale of "good," "better, " and "best" for every product sold is the next necessity of a Local Fish Store to properly compete against an Online Retailer; retailers with 3 choices of a very similar product will sell the middle priced product more frequently than when displaying that product with no other choice, a single choice, or more than two choices for the same product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information