Any thoughts on Advanced Acrylics?

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
but buying a cookie cutter sump sometimes doesn't let you maximum your space under the stand we are always trying to maximize our space in and under the tank. we always run weird size skimmers, returns, how we like to have our heaters. so cookie cutter sumps sometimes doesn't work out.
That sucks. When John is given creative freedom, he tends to screw up sometimes. I've had issues with my sump being really noisy because the filter socks were raised too high and he initially designed the sump for the height of my skimmer, but that wasn't the case and I had to buy a stand from him. I think that's one of the issues when it comes to these custom sumps. He doesn't/can't run water through them to assure they work/flow properly. That's where R&D comes in where a company designs and test their product (e.g. Royal Exclusiv and other sump manufacturers, etc.).

but buying a cookie cutter sump sometimes doesn't let you maximum your space under the stand we are always trying to maximize our space in and under the tank. we always run weird size skimmers, returns, how we like to have our heaters. so cookie cutter sumps sometimes doesn't work out.
Absolutely. There are trade offs to both situations. I've learned that with John, you gotta really be specific about what you want or he'll just do what he wants. lol

my sump is one of theirs, really old and second hand, lots of crazing, but it works.

I got a ATO container from them, it looks great, but the lid warped after a few months. I mentioned it to them at RAP, and they said they now reinforce them, but no offer to fix mine. Still, their PVC sumps look awesome, I'd give them a shot but half to start and half at completion sounds reasonable.

Yeah John has done 5 projects for me. He's always done superb work. and always on time for me. And when he was running a few days late I called and he appoliged and delivered to me. Can't complain!!!

Never had issues with AA. I have two frag tanks and 4 custom sumps all within a week or less turn around. I never dealt with him directly though.

If you want a tank from Advanced Acrylics contact me and I will rush the process as I have dealt with John for a number of years. I can explain to John what you want in his words to ensure what you want is what you get. Ask anyone on the forum who has got an Advanced Acrylics product through me.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
John does a great job. I ordered a sump from him a week before Christmas 2015 and had it in hands just before New Years. As far as paying half, he requires a deposit to start the work and I just sent it to him via PayPal after I had him email me a quote for the work to make sure everything was correct. If you have a hard time reaching him by phone leave a message and send a detailed email. He will get back to you as he seams to always bee really busy.

I ordered a custom tank and sump from AA back in July 2016. I'm local to him so I was able to go to the shop and talk to John in person. Put down something like a 50% deposit. He initially said it would take 4-5 weeks but I was able to pick up the tank and sump in 4-5 days. I did have a minor issue with the drain holes not being big enough for the bulk heads but I just dremeled it out. Other than that I didn't have any problems and will be ordering from AA again when I need more tanks.

Thank you everyone for your input! I couldn't get a hold of AA to save my life, but ending up getting an excellent price through an LFS on an Advance Aqua Tanks set-up. I wanted to keep my business local, but my fish have also been cramped for months. But if anyone is reading, I'll be looking for an inexpensive BTA, Pink Hippos, Pink Zippers, and St. Thomas shrooms! ;)