Black spots in my clownfish. Are they sick?

The black spots are in fin n tail. Not the bullet holes. They don't host anything. Well not that I know. Anything I should do?

"Black spots on my clownfish" sorry for typo haha

1st pic is a before pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The blackspots are call bullet holes. That is a design for that clown. The more bullet holes the higher the grade. Hosting takes time. Not all will host something, but some will host anything

The blackspots are call bullet holes. That is a design for that clown. The more bullet holes the higher the grade. Hosting takes time. Not all will host something, but some will host anything
On its fin. I know the bullet holes. Can I do anything to speed up the hosting part.

Nothing you can do about the hosting. Might try different corals. My baby lightning is hosting my hammer lol because the bigger clowns won't let him get a nem. They guarding all 4 nems from him

If you want them to host throw a nem & the clowns in an acclimation box for a week, i tried it with my current clowns and worked like a charm!!

I need to get a temp nem to try that my main anemone is attached to a pretty big rock lol

I need to get a temp nem to try that my main anemone is attached to a pretty big rock lol

Yea it'll work the same, once they get use to it they'll go straight for it once you release them. I tried it with a split nem that I Had, when I released them into the display they went straight for it

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
I wouldn't worry too much about the darker colored blotches on the fins so long as he is eating ok and seems to be acting normal. What do you feed? Maybe change his diet to see if the colors change. More likely their stings from anemone or other coral (torch, hammer,ect.) again I wouldn't worry so long as he's eating ok.

Last edited:

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Pellets but ATM trying to get them to eat mysis probably get brine shrimp

I feed mostly frozen and pellets once every couple of days. Mine developed spots the first few weeks, still have them so not sure if they go away or if their just new ones. Still wouldn't worry if their eating.

It looks like my 2nd is getting black spots. Will the spots go away? Do I need to do act quick or just wait it out?

i believe they are sting marks from the coral. I had a pair of clowns hosting a nem that had them. After I gave them to my dad's FOWLR tank, it looks like the marks are disappearing.

My new clowns are developing them now and I see they are semi hosting some mushrooms at night

i believe they are sting marks from the coral. I had a pair of clowns hosting a nem that had them. After I gave them to my dad's FOWLR tank, it looks like the marks are disappearing.

My new clowns are developing them now and I see they are semi hosting some mushrooms at night
Yea I'm worried that it might be black ich but none of my other fishes showing black spots or my true percula in my sump have these spots. I haven't notice them host anything or try. I just hope it clears up.

Latest posts