Tile demo/install prep?

Hey Guys :)
Am gearing up to get a bunch a tile torn out and replaced.. close to my 135g reef ( both adjoining rooms with very open floor plan)
I am worried of course about cement dust etc getting into tank. Is it enough to just throw a tarp over the whole setup? There will be airborne dust, no way around it.. still safe to run as usual under a tarp?
TIA
J

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think you'll be fine. Throw in a fresh sock and some carbon. I wonder if tarping the stand and taping AC dust filters to the top of the tank would be better?

I think you'll be fine. Throw in a fresh sock and some carbon. I wonder if tarping the stand and taping AC dust filters to the top of the tank would be better?
My tank has an open top canopy on it.. I could cut holes in the tarp to fit some filters in it I'm sure. I would prob need special filters though, maybe hepa type?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Might not even need to be that strong. Even the medium grade AC filters block dust, mold, and bacteria. Obviously closed tarp sealed off with tape would be best. I guess it just depends how long it needs to be sealed up before lack of o2 becomes a concern. Def keep lights off as this will prevent excessive heat even fire, and keep the fishes metabolism o2 consumption down
My tank has an open top canopy on it.. I could cut holes in the tarp to fit some filters in it I'm sure. I would prob need special filters though, maybe hepa type?

Good point! I figuring the job for about a week. Can be open at night after demo is complete I would assume..after a lot of cleanup! But at least 3 days for demo of old tile.

Get painters plastic sheeting and shurtape painter's tape.

Tape the ceiling and floor around the tank, and sheet the partition. Then setup a wet/dry vac with a hepa filter on it, cut a hole in the partition just for the hose from the vac, tape it to the plastic, and run it while they demo the room.

It will neutralize the atmospheres where the tank is, and scrub the air,while still keeping air moving.

After demo, you'll be fine.

You never know what is under demo until it is demoed, so always better safe than sorry.

Sent from my 1+3 via Tapatalk

So, by sticking the hose into the 'bubble' around tank won't that just suck the dirty air into the tank ( possible pulling apart taped seams..or at least suck most of air around tank out? Maybe I'm reading this too early in the morning lol ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wait! Lol just got it.. the vacuum is INSIDE the bubble hose to outside of the hole. :p thanks! Need more coffee.. stat

Was wondering how pissed the installers are gonna be as I am using a garden sprayer to wet the work area as they demo along? Lol

Get painters plastic sheeting and shurtape painter's tape.

Tape the ceiling and floor around the tank, and sheet the partition. Then setup a wet/dry vac with a hepa filter on it, cut a hole in the partition just for the hose from the vac, tape it to the plastic, and run it while they demo the room.

It will neutralize the atmospheres where the tank is, and scrub the air,while still keeping air moving.

After demo, you'll be fine.

You never know what is under demo until it is demoed, so always better safe than sorry.

I'm guessing that you mean only to run the vac a few min every hour? .. to not burn out the motor? I'm looking st prob 2-3 days of demo mess :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

No. Run the shop vac while they demo. It won't burn the motor. They're designed for constant use, and they'll only demo the old tile the first day for 8 hours tops.

So, by sticking the hose into the 'bubble' around tank won't that just suck the dirty air into the tank ( possible pulling apart taped seams..or at least suck most of air around tank out? Maybe I'm reading this too early in the morning lol ..

No. It won't. The plastic is not air tight, but it will cause relative air resistance to drop significantly, and particle flotation to drop almost entirely.

When working with hazardous vapors or airborne materials, it is done inside of projects to limit floating particles inside of air turbulence by getting rid of air turbulence entirely.

It helps to have pictures of the room and where your tank is to have a better idea of where to place everything, but air scrubbing is most effective in smaller areas, so it is better to insure effectiveness against just the aquarium and let the flooring guys worry about themselves.