New to scr

Gonna take this a step further... There are a LOT of similar looking corals out there. Oftentimes taxonomically speaking, quite possibly the SAME coral, but possibly collected from a similar area, but just happens to have extraordinary color. With that said, unless you can PROVE DIRECT LINEAGE to the original piece and supplier, you may be overpaying. Difficult if not impossible to do, but we all want the newest, shiniest gizmo or coral and tend to pay the assumed premium. But.... If you like it, want it, can afford it, buy it.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
The other option is to be like me and wait for the price to come down and ignore the hype, or wait for a buddy to hook it up with a frag in a trade and still ignore the hype. Frankly paying insane amount of money for a 1/2 bugger is just crazy. It's all about what look good to me in my tank.

Last edited:
it's all a huge scam... them dudes get together, buy the rights for a certain "new" coral that has been growing for a while... they price it out super high.... after their time for the naming rights is done, the grower/importer starts selling colonies of the same stuff for 40 each to different wholesale and they name it JF, RR or other BS... try to find people and shops that buy them a certain price, and sell at a certain price... same stuff, no lineage, a fraction of the price...

this is something that is destroying the community of this hobby... before, we would go to some random dude's house, have a bbq, and swap corals... nothing was worth a ton of money, but everything was just traded because you wanted your collection to grow... no one cared about names, or price per polyp/inch/eye/coralite.... so sad... it's a huge money pit now... people don't get rich, but they shouldn't make 5 grand in a week selling utter chaos like what's his name....

Fizzman

So there's no blog or magazine adding to the hype with articles like "get ready for the new Le blah blah from Wwc next week, this one's a killer!!!". On a separate line of thought, I think corals should be given common name, cuz that way you can Google what it will look like or at least has the potential to look like once that frag grows.

Fizzman

it's all a huge scam... them dudes get together, buy the rights for a certain "new" coral that has been growing for a while... they price it out super high.... after their time for the naming rights is done, the grower/importer starts selling colonies of the same stuff for 40 each to different wholesale and they name it JF, RR or other BS... try to find people and shops that buy them a certain price, and sell at a certain price... same stuff, no lineage, a fraction of the price...

this is something that is destroying the community of this hobby... before, we would go to some random dude's house, have a bbq, and swap corals... nothing was worth a ton of money, but everything was just traded because you wanted your collection to grow... no one cared about names, or price per polyp/inch/eye/coralite.... so sad... it's a huge money pit now... people don't get rich, but they shouldn't make 5 grand in a week selling utter chaos like what's his name....
That's what I wonder. For example eagle eyes, and radioactive dragon eyes. Those are named and at some point was selling for some money, dunno how much or when but had to have been. I'm new to the hobby and I've seen both of these plenty on wild colony. They aren't common cuz everybody has them it seems. As a matter of fact, a lot of the reefer I have met don't have them, but readily available in any Lfs or garage shop or chop shop

That's what I wonder. For example eagle eyes, and radioactive dragon eyes. Those are named and at some point was selling for some money, dunno how much or when but had to have been. I'm new to the hobby and I've seen both of these plenty on wild colony. They aren't common cuz everybody has them it seems. As a matter of fact, a lot of the reefer I have met don't have them, but readily available in any Lfs or garage shop or chop shop
that's why people don't have them... because they are coined as beginner or peasant corals... i like radioactive dragon eyes, and wammin watermelons... naming of the corals came with forums and other online media... then someone started up zoaid and other websites... it's very complicated... anyone can name a coral... as long as it doesn't have a name, and you put it up on an international forum like RC or R2R... then they'll stick... there is no official coral naming process... some used to get LE titles... like a steve tyree LE signature on it... even if he didn't name it... a while ago, jason fox got a coral that i guess only steve garrett was growing, named it, and made it an LE... steve garrett was selling them for cheap at RAP, and once jason fox got all of them from him, it trippled in price and is now called steve garrett's cyclops cyphastrea... but sold and hyped up by jason fox...

it's all a joke...

All boils down to what PT Barnum said a long time ago... "There's a sucker born every minute"

That said, I have been guilty of buying stupid expensive corals... Not for the name, but because I liked it and was willing to drop the cash for it. To this day I only know a couple of the "names" on corals in my tank.. I don't care...

Fizzman

Names are important though, so we can look up pictures and see how it would look when it grew up.

Yeah some the prices are so ridiculous. I get that there's a $50 frag vs a $5, and I even understand a $200frag. But a $500 frag that's 1/10 the size, that's like a $5000 frag. Crazy

All boils down to what PT Barnum said a long time ago... "There's a sucker born every minute"

That said, I have been guilty of buying stupid expensive corals... Not for the name, but because I liked it and was willing to drop the cash for it. To this day I only know a couple of the "names" on corals in my tank.. I don't care...
I'm guilty of buying expensive corals too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've also spent money on corals... and i'll do it again... LOL... things are just so **** nice that deserve the price.. like gold torches, space invader pectenia, purple torts... shiet... them things are hot...

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
i've also spent money on corals... and i'll do it again... LOL... things are just so **** nice that deserve the price.. like gold torches, space invader pectenia, purple torts... shiet... them things are hot...
Dude step away from the Acros and put your hands be hind your back. I'll have Steve pick you up and give you a night with bubba but leave the pretty acros alone.

Latest posts