New to scr

Fizzman

Hello everyone. I am new to scr. I have been in the hobby for 6months. Currently running jbj 24gal nano, with ATS, diy juice bottle Reactor for seachem seagel, diy Chinese 165w LEDs inside the hood(http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2605111), and dosing dry calcium chloride(melt), baking soda, Epson salt. Mix corals. This tank has been up for about 3month. My tank previous to that was 1.7gal tank. Attached is pictures of both tanks still running.

Attachments

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Happy birthday and welcome to SCR! Wow those tanks look amazing. How long was that 1.7g up for and was it difficult to maintain a tank of that size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fizzman

Happy birthday and welcome to SCR! Wow those tanks look amazing. How long was that 1.7g up for and was it difficult to maintain a tank of that size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ty everyone, the 1. 7 gal is still running, 6months old. It's not hard at all, I just do a 30% wc once a week, I dunno if I have to because I've gone two weeks before. Pretty much a scaled down bigger tank. I replace the light with 72 x 0.25w led lights, 2:2:1 uv, blue, white. Inside it I use the Rio50 pump with sponge filter holder but I pulled the sponge out and run seachem seagel. I use a toothbrush to clean the sides, it's plastic so it's developing scratches but it's OK, it was a used tank to begin with. I stock it with a clownfish, 1 orange spot turbo, 2 hermits, 2astrea snail, 3 brittle star(the hitch hiker ones but I put it in the on purpose). Really the biggest problem I am having with that tank is the Gsp is starting take over and killing some zoas

Fizzman

I have a noob question concerning coral hype and pricing. When it has a brand name like Wwc, jf, rr, asd, or whatever obviously those guys initially distributed it. I can imagine where they obtain it from, either came in with a shipment they got or someone else got and either sold or gave it to them. These guys I assume have good reputations and all, but still doesn't add up to the hype. I imagine the # of collectors just waiting for their release directly from them is low. The question is, are there independent magazines, blogs, or similar adding to the initial hype? Seems like they can sell a piece of poop for $300 per lump and it would sell. I mean at my level I get why people buy it, cuz even if I didn't particularly like poop I know someone else would want it(probably for the same reason) so I can grow the poop to sell or trade for something I do like. But what I don't get is the link from them to us. Almost like a pyramid scheme where the first buyin wins and that last guy looses

Welcome! I like the 1.7gallon a lot. Ive always wished micro tanks were as big in the reefing community as it is in the planted community. Hope all goes well

I have a noob question concerning coral hype and pricing. When it has a brand name like Wwc, jf, rr, asd, or whatever obviously those guys initially distributed it. I can imagine where they obtain it from, either came in with a shipment they got or someone else got and either sold or gave it to them. These guys I assume have good reputations and all, but still doesn't add up to the hype. I imagine the # of collectors just waiting for their release directly from them is low. The question is, are there independent magazines, blogs, or similar adding to the initial hype? Seems like they can sell a piece of poop for $300 per lump and it would sell. I mean at my level I get why people buy it, cuz even if I didn't particularly like poop I know someone else would want it(probably for the same reason) so I can grow the poop to sell or trade for something I do like. But what I don't get is the link from them to us. Almost like a pyramid scheme where the first buyin wins and that last guy looses
Yes.....

That said, most if the named stuff is the 1% of the top 1%.... At least initially.. Lots of super nice corals out there without names... As time goes on, more people get a hold of whatever the latest and greatest LE piece is and the price drops... Usually...

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident (IEMAS)
Supporter
My Tank Build
Welcome! Be sure to keep posting pics and if you have any cool tips/tricks or experiences be sure to share them!

Fizzman

Yes.....

That said, most if the named stuff is the 1% of the top 1%.... At least initially.. Lots of super nice corals out there without names... As time goes on, more people get a hold of whatever the latest and greatest LE piece is and the price drops... Usually...
What are those sources of hype other than from the actual supplier.

What are those sources of hype other than from the actual supplier.
There aren't any... There is no book or scientist anywhere naming ANYTHING "Super wamma lamma ding dang gonna hose you for a 1" frag coral of the month". Quite the opposite actually. It's just when a super nice piece of whatever comes in that it gets a name and the hype machine kicks in... And we pay for it...