Thread: New to scr

Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
    I have a noob question concerning coral hype and pricing. When it has a brand name like Wwc, jf, rr, asd, or whatever obviously those guys initially distributed it. I can imagine where they obtain it from, either came in with a shipment they got or someone else got and either sold or gave it to them. These guys I assume have good reputations and all, but still doesn't add up to the hype. I imagine the # of collectors just waiting for their release directly from them is low. The question is, are there independent magazines, blogs, or similar adding to the initial hype? Seems like they can sell a piece of poop for $300 per lump and it would sell. I mean at my level I get why people buy it, cuz even if I didn't particularly like poop I know someone else would want it(probably for the same reason) so I can grow the poop to sell or trade for something I do like. But what I don't get is the link from them to us. Almost like a pyramid scheme where the first buyin wins and that last guy looses
    Yes.....

That said, most if the named stuff is the 1% of the top 1%.... At least initially.. Lots of super nice corals out there without names... As time goes on, more people get a hold of whatever the latest and greatest LE piece is and the price drops... Usually...
    240 Gal SPS dominated. Just over 3 years old, but working on it.
    Custom 100 Gal Sump. 5 Gen 3 pro's
    SRO 500 Internal Skimmer
    Jebao 4 way doser
    1 HP Chiller
    APEX controlled

IEMAS President 10'-14' cymaster007's Avatar
    Name
    Cylix
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome! Be sure to keep posting pics and if you have any cool tips/tricks or experiences be sure to share them!
    Over 700 gallons of wonderful saltwater tanks.

Premium Member
    Name
    JC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum fellow reefer!

Your 1.7gal tank is truly amazing! Mad kudos!!!

Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ndrwater View Post
    Yes.....

That said, most if the named stuff is the 1% of the top 1%.... At least initially.. Lots of super nice corals out there without names... As time goes on, more people get a hold of whatever the latest and greatest LE piece is and the price drops... Usually...
    What are those sources of hype other than from the actual supplier.

Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are those sources of hype other than from the actual supplier.
    There aren't any... There is no book or scientist anywhere naming ANYTHING "Super wamma lamma ding dang gonna hose you for a 1" frag coral of the month". Quite the opposite actually. It's just when a super nice piece of whatever comes in that it gets a name and the hype machine kicks in... And we pay for it...
    SRO 500 Internal Skimmer
    Jebao 4 way doser
    1 HP Chiller
    APEX controlled

6. Likes gumbii, LJC6780 liked this post
    Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna take this a step further... There are a LOT of similar looking corals out there. Oftentimes taxonomically speaking, quite possibly the SAME coral, but possibly collected from a similar area, but just happens to have extraordinary color. With that said, unless you can PROVE DIRECT LINEAGE to the original piece and supplier, you may be overpaying. Difficult if not impossible to do, but we all want the newest, shiniest gizmo or coral and tend to pay the assumed premium. But.... If you like it, want it, can afford it, buy it.
    SRO 500 Internal Skimmer
    Jebao 4 way doser
    1 HP Chiller
    APEX controlled

8. Likes gumbii liked this post
    Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default New to scr

The other option is to be like me and wait for the price to come down and ignore the hype, or wait for a buddy to hook it up with a frag in a trade and still ignore the hype. Frankly paying insane amount of money for a 1/2 bugger is just crazy. It's all about what look good to me in my tank.
    Last edited by innerspark; 01-10-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Mike
    Pico² Reef | 50 SPS² | 75g SPS - Down

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

it's all a huge scam... them dudes get together, buy the rights for a certain "new" coral that has been growing for a while... they price it out super high.... after their time for the naming rights is done, the grower/importer starts selling colonies of the same stuff for 40 each to different wholesale and they name it JF, RR or other BS... try to find people and shops that buy them a certain price, and sell at a certain price... same stuff, no lineage, a fraction of the price...

this is something that is destroying the community of this hobby... before, we would go to some random dude's house, have a bbq, and swap corals... nothing was worth a ton of money, but everything was just traded because you wanted your collection to grow... no one cared about names, or price per polyp/inch/eye/coralite.... so sad... it's a huge money pit now... people don't get rich, but they shouldn't make 5 grand in a week selling utter chaos like what's his name....

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

11. Likes LJC6780 liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there's no blog or magazine adding to the hype with articles like "get ready for the new Le blah blah from Wwc next week, this one's a killer!!!". On a separate line of thought, I think corals should be given common name, cuz that way you can Google what it will look like or at least has the potential to look like once that frag grows.

Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbii View Post
    it's all a huge scam... them dudes get together, buy the rights for a certain "new" coral that has been growing for a while... they price it out super high.... after their time for the naming rights is done, the grower/importer starts selling colonies of the same stuff for 40 each to different wholesale and they name it JF, RR or other BS... try to find people and shops that buy them a certain price, and sell at a certain price... same stuff, no lineage, a fraction of the price...

this is something that is destroying the community of this hobby... before, we would go to some random dude's house, have a bbq, and swap corals... nothing was worth a ton of money, but everything was just traded because you wanted your collection to grow... no one cared about names, or price per polyp/inch/eye/coralite.... so sad... it's a huge money pit now... people don't get rich, but they shouldn't make 5 grand in a week selling utter chaos like what's his name....
    That's what I wonder. For example eagle eyes, and radioactive dragon eyes. Those are named and at some point was selling for some money, dunno how much or when but had to have been. I'm new to the hobby and I've seen both of these plenty on wild colony. They aren't common cuz everybody has them it seems. As a matter of fact, a lot of the reefer I have met don't have them, but readily available in any Lfs or garage shop or chop shop

send nudes
    Name
    gumbii garcia
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

That's what I wonder. For example eagle eyes, and radioactive dragon eyes. Those are named and at some point was selling for some money, dunno how much or when but had to have been. I'm new to the hobby and I've seen both of these plenty on wild colony. They aren't common cuz everybody has them it seems. As a matter of fact, a lot of the reefer I have met don't have them, but readily available in any Lfs or garage shop or chop shop
    that's why people don't have them... because they are coined as beginner or peasant corals... i like radioactive dragon eyes, and wammin watermelons... naming of the corals came with forums and other online media... then someone started up zoaid and other websites... it's very complicated... anyone can name a coral... as long as it doesn't have a name, and you put it up on an international forum like RC or R2R... then they'll stick... there is no official coral naming process... some used to get LE titles... like a steve tyree LE signature on it... even if he didn't name it... a while ago, jason fox got a coral that i guess only steve garrett was growing, named it, and made it an LE... steve garrett was selling them for cheap at RAP, and once jason fox got all of them from him, it trippled in price and is now called steve garrett's cyclops cyphastrea... but sold and hyped up by jason fox...

it's all a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by lurking View Post
    I like to think of it as you were loving on my pipes rather than working on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Hey man, as long as there aint no funky tongue action, I'm cool with it, LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser9999 View Post
    Please do not send me nudes of u & Noah together

15. Thanks pgr11 thanked for this post
    Likes pgr11, ndrwater liked this post
    Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All boils down to what PT Barnum said a long time ago... "There's a sucker born every minute"

That said, I have been guilty of buying stupid expensive corals... Not for the name, but because I liked it and was willing to drop the cash for it. To this day I only know a couple of the "names" on corals in my tank.. I don't care...
    SRO 500 Internal Skimmer
    Jebao 4 way doser
    1 HP Chiller
    APEX controlled

Registered Member
    Name
    Fizzman
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Names are important though, so we can look up pictures and see how it would look when it grew up.

Yeah some the prices are so ridiculous. I get that there's a $50 frag vs a $5, and I even understand a $200frag. But a $500 frag that's 1/10 the size, that's like a $5000 frag. Crazy

18. Likes innerspark liked this post
    Registered Member
    Name
    christian
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ndrwater View Post
    All boils down to what PT Barnum said a long time ago... "There's a sucker born every minute"

That said, I have been guilty of buying stupid expensive corals... Not for the name, but because I liked it and was willing to drop the cash for it. To this day I only know a couple of the "names" on corals in my tank.. I don't care...
    I'm guilty of buying expensive corals too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guilty
    Mike
    Pico² Reef | 50 SPS² | 75g SPS - Down

21. Likes christian7144 liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast