Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Scrap Acrylic in the IE?

I'm just looking to turn my sock holders into a filter floss tray and need some scrap acrylic to modify my sump. Does anyone know of a place that sells scrap acrylic or maybe even reasonable sizes to the public? I don't have any scrap sumps or any other fish related equipment I can salvage to build this. Any suggestions locally?
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
    I'm just looking to turn my sock holders into a filter floss tray and need some scrap acrylic to modify my sump. Does anyone know of a place that sells scrap acrylic or maybe even reasonable sizes to the public? I don't have any scrap sumps or any other fish related equipment I can salvage to build this. Any suggestions locally?
    HD/Lowes have various size of acrylic only up to 1/4"

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    HD/Lowes have various size of acrylic only up to 1/4"
    Really?? For some reason I never thought they did. Thank you!!
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@newtothis James, will this do? I justo need to drill some holes in it so water can trickle down. And what do I use to bond it to acrylic?

Registered Member
    Name
    Andy
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contributing Member
    Name
    Ev'e
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

S&W Plastics. I got about a 12x12 inch piece once and the guy behind the counter just gave it to me

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@newtothis James, will this do? I justo need to drill some holes in it so water can trickle down. And what do I use to bond it to acrylic?
    For what you are doing,. 1/4" should be more then adequate. For bonding, only weld-on4 (solvent) or weld-on16 (gel form). Weld-on4 are only used if you have a perfect squared cut. Weld-on16 are used for no perfect/squared cut or for repair as the gel will seal gaps and/or cracks. In your case, I would us weld-on16. If this will be in the sump and have no concern over leaks and your DIY is small, you can use silicone.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

For what you are doing,. 1/4" should be more then adequate. For bonding, only weld-on4 (solvent) or weld-on16 (gel form). Weld-on4 are only used if you have a perfect squared cut. Weld-on16 are used for no perfect/squared cut or for repair as the gel will seal gaps and/or cracks. In your case, I would us weld-on16. If this will be in the sump and have no concern over leaks and your DIY is small, you can use silicone.
    Interesting point you bring up on the silicone. What kind of precautions would I have to take with Weld-on 16 since my sump is full of water. Would silicone be safer?

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting point you bring up on the silicone. What kind of precautions would I have to take with Weld-on 16 since my sump is full of water. Would silicone be safer?
    Weld-on is perfectly safe as it is used in every equipment within this hobby. No precaution beside the fact that it needs to dry/cure, which usually is around 24hrs. Weld-on is not like a glue that we think they are. It's more of a chemical solvent that when applied to acrylic, its will soften the acrylic to a "soft" form and will bond the 2 piece together hence the word "weld "- On.

Silicone is only safe if the correct one is used. Silicone and acrylic are not compatible , as acrylic chemical base is too smooth for silicone to bond. For repair or minor DIY is perfectly fine. But i will not use silicone to bond acrylic if, it's use outside of the sump or DT or any thing pressurized.

Imho, I think every hobbyist should have a tube of weld-on in there fish room, hoarding room, garage, or the ex-wife's room.. Haha

Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S&W has scrap pieces and the weld on glue will give you a quicker bond the are off the 10&215

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Weld-on is perfectly safe as it is used in every equipment within this hobby. No precaution beside the fact that it needs to dry/cure, which usually is around 24hrs. Weld-on is not like a glue that we think they are. It's more of a chemical solvent that when applied to acrylic, its will soften the acrylic to a "soft" form and will bond the 2 piece together hence the word "weld "- On.

Silicone is only safe if the correct one is used. Silicone and acrylic are not compatible , as acrylic chemical base is too smooth for silicone to bond. For repair or minor DIY is perfectly fine. But i will not use silicone to bond acrylic if, it's use outside of the sump or DT or any thing pressurized.

Imho, I think every hobbyist should have a tube of weld-on in there fish room, hoarding room, garage, or the ex-wife's room.. Haha
    I'm basically trying to place a piece of acrylic with holes or openings for.qater to trickle down after passing the sponge. The acrylic would go at the bottom of the sock holder.

Trying to make this more "legit." What do you recommend using?

Registered Member
    Name
    Scott
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paragon plastics in Santa Ana sells scrap acrylic by the pound

Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a bunch of scrap acrylic peices you're more than welcome to have. If you need/want help fabricating something, I can help with that also lmk. I'm in the IE moreno valley

Registered Member
    Name
    Max
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paragon or have you asked John @ Advanced Acrylic?

Thread Information