Contributing Member
    Name
    Kenny
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Skimmer recommendations?? Going to retire the ATB 840

I have about 125 total water volume and going towards sps so looking to get a new skimmer. I did a little research and man the new skimmers look crazy and DC pumps. Don't get me wrong I love my ATB 840 but looking for smaller footprint and DC is a plus. Budget is around $500. Anyone have experience with the skimmer below that can comment on cleaning, noise, replacement pump cost, warranty, etc??? Here is what I narrow down to and the con about the skimmer from my research. Can anyone give me some Pros and Cons with the following skimmers??

AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 (not DC)
    Simplicity 320DC (Jebao pump)
    NYOS Quantum 160 (issue with cup removal?)
    Your Choice Aquatics DC22 (Not a lot of reviews out there)
    Reef Octopus Regal 200SSS (looks like Jebao pump)

Livin' the Reef Life
    Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked out the Tunze skimmers? I like my Tunze 9410 a lot.

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess210 View Post
    I have about 125 total water volume and going towards sps so looking to get a new skimmer. I did a little research and man the new skimmers look crazy and DC pumps. Don't get me wrong I love my ATB 840 but looking for smaller footprint and DC is a plus. Budget is around $500. Anyone have experience with the skimmer below that can comment on cleaning, noise, replacement pump cost, warranty, etc??? Here is what I narrow down to and the con about the skimmer from my research. Can anyone give me some Pros and Cons with the following skimmers??

With your total water volume. I would go with the Your choice Aquatics DC20. Nothing wrong with DC22, but I prefer a seamless wide body over a Hybrid semi-cone. I have been testing the DC13 for the past 1.5yr, before releasing it on the market. Super quiet with very minimal wattage consumption, Small footprint, twist on cup, body can be removed w/ pump and base can stay in the sump for cleaning. If you noticed all the YCA skimmer model have eliminated the wedge pipe for an exhaust lever at the bottom of the base to control water level. At 1st this was my biggest concern, as it does not open very big and the O-ring that holds in place looks questionable. But after extended use, the level actually does not need to open very much to control water and O-ring still retained its strength.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    With your total water volume. I would go with the Your choice Aquatics DC20. Nothing wrong with DC22, but I prefer a seamless wide body over a Hybrid semi-cone. I have been testing the DC13 for the past 1.5yr, before releasing it on the market. Super quiet with very minimal wattage consumption, Small footprint, twist on cup, body can be removed w/ pump and base can stay in the sump for cleaning. If you noticed all the YCA skimmer model have eliminated the wedge pipe for an exhaust lever at the bottom of the base to control water level. At 1st this was my biggest concern, as it does not open very big and the O-ring that holds in place looks questionable. But after extended use, the level actually does not need to open very much to control water and O-ring still retained its strength.
    That lever makes for more pinpoint adjustments too correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resident Realogist
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Aquamax and manna meat and cheese and call it a day.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

From the list above, I'd choose the AquaMaxx since you'll get great support from Marine Depot in case something goes awry. Plus, it has a decent pump. But I have noticed that Sicce pumps aren't the quietest...And lastly, I can't imagine maintaining a skimmer with an internal pump, but maybe you're more motivated than I am. If you have the space, I'd go external pump.
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I dont see the point in upgrading if you dont go with a lower wattage dc pump that uses less than 23 watts if I remember right.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 7th & 8th, 2017

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

8. Likes NVTE liked this post
    Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Take a look at the bubble magus curve series. Not the highest quality built skimmer but work great and super quiet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fly5150 View Post
    That lever makes for more pinpoint adjustments too correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure does, but to be honest. I have not have touched it since setting up. Controlling the velocity 0f the pump have been what work for me

Contributing Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess210 View Post

just my 2 cent.
    Your skimmer works well with your tank size even with fully SPS. Why do you want to spend extra $500 on some crazy looking skimmer (after the stand door shut, you can't see it anyway) just about the performance is what you aim for? DC pump (controllable speed) is nice feature but I think you can use it once to find sweet spot of your skimmer (even your skimmer non dc still can do with wedges pipe) and not using its feature for long time. Also DC is energy saver is good too, but how much you save ? like Cody (BeanMachine) said your pump consumed 23 Watt. Can new DC pump consume way less and have same/better efficiency?
    Do you want extra space on that skimmer section of your sump for extra equipment? Otherwise extra space of your sump cost you $500

Anyway
    I saw the performance of Aquamaxx and impressed with it, only thing I do not like is the impeller has bad reps (broken shaft, magnet popped) among people i know they have it.

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
    I dont see the point in upgrading if you dont go with a lower wattage dc pump that uses less than 23 watts if I remember right.
    Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    Take a look at the bubble magus curve series. Not the highest quality built skimmer but work great and super quiet

Our new model. Everything is built and designed in house. Comes with 2yr warranty on body and motorblock, 6 month on impeller. As you can see, the pump is a hybrid ac/dc pump with only 18w, has a built in run dry chip in the event your sump run dry.

Curve A8
    Pump:Bubble-Magus Rock DSP2000
    DC24V, 18W
    AC/DC: AC 100-240V/ 50/60Hz, DC24V,1.5A
    Footprint:225 x 255 x 565mm (8.86" x 10.04" x 22.24")
    Aquarium:900L (238g)

Contributing Member
    Name
    james
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
    From the list above, I'd choose the AquaMaxx since you'll get great support from Marine Depot in case something goes awry. Plus, it has a decent pump. But I have noticed that Sicce pumps aren't the quietest...And lastly, I can't imagine maintaining a skimmer with an internal pump, but maybe you're more motivated than I am. If you have the space, I'd go external pump.
    Most of our skimmer have "fins" at the base for quick release to remove the body for cleaning. Quick and simple..

Bubble Magus 2016 and never model utilize in house built pump that comes with a 2yr warranty on the motorblock. All you have to do is register the unit. For warrrnty or product support all yoy have to do is reach out and contact us. We ask all of our distributors and LFS to have the hobbyist contact us directly so that we can address any issue directly. Plus we are located in Placentia.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Kenny
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdbannister View Post
    Have you checked out the Tunze skimmers? I like my Tunze 9410 a lot.
    I will check it out but after using the Tunze 9002 many moons ago I stayed away from Tunze Skimmers

Quote Originally Posted by Tangwich View Post
    Aquamax and manna meat and cheese and call it a day.
    That was good cheese bro!!! I'm hooked on the crack cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
    Yes that what I'm trying to stay away from is loud pumps. Do I deal with MD for warranty or manufacture??

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
    On the Sicce PSK1000 I'm showing 44 watts on the meter

15. Likes mdbannister liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Kenny
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my friend recommend Aqua Excel DC return pump I kept my tunze for back up and now almost 3 years and only clean it twice. That my kind of pump!! Same friend told me about YCA skimmer and if it's like that oven "set it and forget it" I'm down on trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post

I will check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by NVTE View Post
    just my 2 cent.
    Your skimmer works well with your tank size even with fully SPS. Why do you want to spend extra $500 on some crazy looking skimmer (after the stand door shut, you can't see it anyway) just about the performance is what you aim for? DC pump (controllable speed) is nice feature but I think you can use it once to find sweet spot of your skimmer (even your skimmer non dc still can do with wedges pipe) and not using its feature for long time. Also DC is energy saver is good too, but how much you save ? like Cody (BeanMachine) said your pump consumed 23 Watt. Can new DC pump consume way less and have same/better efficiency?
    Do you want extra space on that skimmer section of your sump for extra equipment? Otherwise extra space of your sump cost you $500

Anyway
    I saw the performance of Aquamaxx and impressed with it, only thing I do not like is the impeller has bad reps (broken shaft, magnet popped) among people i know they have it.
    Very good point and I will definitely take it to the heart. I guess my wife was shopping all day with my daughter and I was stuck with @Tangwich having Korean BBQ I wanna cash in a little Christmas $$$. But seriously I'm really was looking for DC pump and saving space in the sump because when I get another sump....roller mat here I come and no more cleaning filter sock!!

I'm hoping DC skimmer pumps will hold up better than Sicce pumps and everyone is telling me quiet quiet quiet.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Kenny
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our new model. Everything is built and designed in house. Comes with 2yr warranty on body and motorblock, 6 month on impeller. As you can see, the pump is a hybrid ac/dc pump with only 18w, has a built in run dry chip in the event your sump run dry.

Curve A8
    Pump:Bubble-Magus Rock DSP2000
    DC24V, 18W
    AC/DC: AC 100-240V/ 50/60Hz, DC24V,1.5A
    Footprint:225 x 255 x 565mm (8.86" x 10.04" x 22.24")
    Aquarium:900L (238g)
    I'm assuming this skimmer pump is not controllable?? are the YCA made better than the BM curve and for the YCA skimmer what is the cost of a new pump or impeller down the road if needed??? How often are you cleaning the pump for the DC13??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information