Skimmer recommendations?? Going to retire the ATB 840

I have about 125 total water volume and going towards sps so looking to get a new skimmer. I did a little research and man the new skimmers look crazy and DC pumps. Don't get me wrong I love my ATB 840 but looking for smaller footprint and DC is a plus. Budget is around $500. Anyone have experience with the skimmer below that can comment on cleaning, noise, replacement pump cost, warranty, etc??? Here is what I narrow down to and the con about the skimmer from my research. Can anyone give me some Pros and Cons with the following skimmers??

AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 (not DC)
Simplicity 320DC (Jebao pump)
NYOS Quantum 160 (issue with cup removal?)
Your Choice Aquatics DC22 (Not a lot of reviews out there)
Reef Octopus Regal 200SSS (looks like Jebao pump)

I have about 125 total water volume and going towards sps so looking to get a new skimmer. I did a little research and man the new skimmers look crazy and DC pumps. Don't get me wrong I love my ATB 840 but looking for smaller footprint and DC is a plus. Budget is around $500. Anyone have experience with the skimmer below that can comment on cleaning, noise, replacement pump cost, warranty, etc??? Here is what I narrow down to and the con about the skimmer from my research. Can anyone give me some Pros and Cons with the following skimmers??

With your total water volume. I would go with the Your choice Aquatics DC20. Nothing wrong with DC22, but I prefer a seamless wide body over a Hybrid semi-cone. I have been testing the DC13 for the past 1.5yr, before releasing it on the market. Super quiet with very minimal wattage consumption, Small footprint, twist on cup, body can be removed w/ pump and base can stay in the sump for cleaning. If you noticed all the YCA skimmer model have eliminated the wedge pipe for an exhaust lever at the bottom of the base to control water level. At 1st this was my biggest concern, as it does not open very big and the O-ring that holds in place looks questionable. But after extended use, the level actually does not need to open very much to control water and O-ring still retained its strength.

With your total water volume. I would go with the Your choice Aquatics DC20. Nothing wrong with DC22, but I prefer a seamless wide body over a Hybrid semi-cone. I have been testing the DC13 for the past 1.5yr, before releasing it on the market. Super quiet with very minimal wattage consumption, Small footprint, twist on cup, body can be removed w/ pump and base can stay in the sump for cleaning. If you noticed all the YCA skimmer model have eliminated the wedge pipe for an exhaust lever at the bottom of the base to control water level. At 1st this was my biggest concern, as it does not open very big and the O-ring that holds in place looks questionable. But after extended use, the level actually does not need to open very much to control water and O-ring still retained its strength.
That lever makes for more pinpoint adjustments too correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the list above, I'd choose the AquaMaxx since you'll get great support from Marine Depot in case something goes awry. Plus, it has a decent pump. But I have noticed that Sicce pumps aren't the quietest...And lastly, I can't imagine maintaining a skimmer with an internal pump, but maybe you're more motivated than I am. If you have the space, I'd go external pump.

BeanMachine

Supporter
I dont see the point in upgrading if you dont go with a lower wattage dc pump that uses less than 23 watts if I remember right.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Take a look at the bubble magus curve series. Not the highest quality built skimmer but work great and super quiet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That lever makes for more pinpoint adjustments too correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure does, but to be honest. I have not have touched it since setting up. Controlling the velocity 0f the pump have been what work for me

NVTE

just my 2 cent.
Your skimmer works well with your tank size even with fully SPS. Why do you want to spend extra $500 on some crazy looking skimmer (after the stand door shut, you can't see it anyway) just about the performance is what you aim for? DC pump (controllable speed) is nice feature but I think you can use it once to find sweet spot of your skimmer (even your skimmer non dc still can do with wedges pipe) and not using its feature for long time. Also DC is energy saver is good too, but how much you save ? like Cody (BeanMachine) said your pump consumed 23 Watt. Can new DC pump consume way less and have same/better efficiency?
Do you want extra space on that skimmer section of your sump for extra equipment? Otherwise extra space of your sump cost you $500

Anyway
I saw the performance of Aquamaxx and impressed with it, only thing I do not like is the impeller has bad reps (broken shaft, magnet popped) among people i know they have it.

I dont see the point in upgrading if you dont go with a lower wattage dc pump that uses less than 23 watts if I remember right.
Take a look at the bubble magus curve series. Not the highest quality built skimmer but work great and super quiet

Our new model. Everything is built and designed in house. Comes with 2yr warranty on body and motorblock, 6 month on impeller. As you can see, the pump is a hybrid ac/dc pump with only 18w, has a built in run dry chip in the event your sump run dry.

Curve A8
Pump:Bubble-Magus Rock DSP2000
DC24V, 18W
AC/DC: AC 100-240V/ 50/60Hz, DC24V,1.5A
Footprint:225 x 255 x 565mm (8.86" x 10.04" x 22.24")
Aquarium:900L (238g)

From the list above, I'd choose the AquaMaxx since you'll get great support from Marine Depot in case something goes awry. Plus, it has a decent pump. But I have noticed that Sicce pumps aren't the quietest...And lastly, I can't imagine maintaining a skimmer with an internal pump, but maybe you're more motivated than I am. If you have the space, I'd go external pump.
Most of our skimmer have "fins" at the base for quick release to remove the body for cleaning. Quick and simple..

Bubble Magus 2016 and never model utilize in house built pump that comes with a 2yr warranty on the motorblock. All you have to do is register the unit. For warrrnty or product support all yoy have to do is reach out and contact us. We ask all of our distributors and LFS to have the hobbyist contact us directly so that we can address any issue directly. Plus we are located in Placentia.

Have you checked out the Tunze skimmers? I like my Tunze 9410 a lot.
I will check it out but after using the Tunze 9002 many moons ago I stayed away from Tunze Skimmers

Aquamax and manna meat and cheese and call it a day.
That was good cheese bro!!! I'm hooked on the crack cheese.

Yes that what I'm trying to stay away from is loud pumps. Do I deal with MD for warranty or manufacture??

On the Sicce PSK1000 I'm showing 44 watts on the meter

When my friend recommend Aqua Excel DC return pump I kept my tunze for back up and now almost 3 years and only clean it twice. That my kind of pump!! Same friend told me about YCA skimmer and if it's like that oven "set it and forget it" I'm down on trying it.

I will check that out.

just my 2 cent.
Your skimmer works well with your tank size even with fully SPS. Why do you want to spend extra $500 on some crazy looking skimmer (after the stand door shut, you can't see it anyway) just about the performance is what you aim for? DC pump (controllable speed) is nice feature but I think you can use it once to find sweet spot of your skimmer (even your skimmer non dc still can do with wedges pipe) and not using its feature for long time. Also DC is energy saver is good too, but how much you save ? like Cody (BeanMachine) said your pump consumed 23 Watt. Can new DC pump consume way less and have same/better efficiency?
Do you want extra space on that skimmer section of your sump for extra equipment? Otherwise extra space of your sump cost you $500

Anyway
I saw the performance of Aquamaxx and impressed with it, only thing I do not like is the impeller has bad reps (broken shaft, magnet popped) among people i know they have it.
Very good point and I will definitely take it to the heart. I guess my wife was shopping all day with my daughter and I was stuck with [MENTION=2928]Tangwich[/MENTION] having Korean BBQ I wanna cash in a little Christmas $$$. But seriously I'm really was looking for DC pump and saving space in the sump because when I get another sump....roller mat here I come and no more cleaning filter sock!!

I'm hoping DC skimmer pumps will hold up better than Sicce pumps and everyone is telling me quiet quiet quiet.

Our new model. Everything is built and designed in house. Comes with 2yr warranty on body and motorblock, 6 month on impeller. As you can see, the pump is a hybrid ac/dc pump with only 18w, has a built in run dry chip in the event your sump run dry.

Curve A8
Pump:Bubble-Magus Rock DSP2000
DC24V, 18W
AC/DC: AC 100-240V/ 50/60Hz, DC24V,1.5A
Footprint:225 x 255 x 565mm (8.86" x 10.04" x 22.24")
Aquarium:900L (238g)
I'm assuming this skimmer pump is not controllable?? are the YCA made better than the BM curve and for the YCA skimmer what is the cost of a new pump or impeller down the road if needed??? How often are you cleaning the pump for the DC13??

BeanMachine

Supporter
When my friend recommend Aqua Excel DC return pump I kept my tunze for back up and now almost 3 years and only clean it twice. That my kind of pump!! Same friend told me about YCA skimmer and if it's like that oven "set it and forget it" I'm down on trying it.

I will check that out.

Very good point and I will definitely take it to the heart. I guess my wife was shopping all day with my daughter and I was stuck with [MENTION=2928]Tangwich[/MENTION] having Korean BBQ I wanna cash in a little Christmas $$$. But seriously I'm really was looking for DC pump and saving space in the sump because when I get another sump....roller mat here I come and no more cleaning filter sock!!

I'm hoping DC skimmer pumps will hold up better than Sicce pumps and everyone is telling me quiet quiet quiet.
I had really good luck with my old ATB... I just recently replaced the impeller after 4 or more years. The pump still starts up right away.

Wanna just buy mine? ;)

I did get the Aqua Maxx CO5 for my new build though. Some of them have sicce, others do not.

I'm assuming this skimmer pump is not controllable?? are the YCA made better than the BM curve and for the YCA skimmer what is the cost of a new pump or impeller down the road if needed??? How often are you cleaning the pump for the DC13??
Yes, all the curve A series are non controllable hybrid AC/DC pump. Design for hobbyist that dont want controllable feature and but are power conscious. Bubble Magus is better brand that have been around a lot longer so you would more for a BM then a YCA. Replacement pump or replacement impeller for either brand are around $100/$50 respectively, replacement controller for YCA is roughly $50-$80. I have clean the pump once since its been in use.

I went from my atb 840 to a bubbleking mini180 and its dead silent smaller footprint and all in all kicks ***!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Latest posts