Suggestions on a Quiet Powerhead (~500 GPH)?

So after sucking a few pounds of mud out of my sump, I have decided to increase the flow in order to avoid settling detritus. I'm going all out and adding a powerhead in each section of my sump to keep things suspended. I have bought both a Sicce Voyager Nano 2000 (530 gph) and a Tunze Nanostream 6020 (660 gph) and find them noticeably noisy. The tunze vibrates and the sicce just has a noticeable hum to it. Both pumps are in my acrylic sump (1/4" acrylic--I think) and I'm not sure if that's part of the problem.

Can anyone suggest something quieter? None of these pumps draw more than 5 watts of power. Would them being an AC motor have anything to do with it too?

Just looking for some suggestions...

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
What about a Koralia? Those have always been quiet for me.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
wow. Both are great pump manufacturers. Although, I've heard mixed reviews on the 6020 making noise. My suggestion would be to try the Tunze 6015 turbelle as it's the classic style tunze.

Tunze 6020, 6040, 6015, 6025 (although the later 2 are none controllable). I would suggest jebao (rw4 or wp10), but i know you are a high end german brand guy...

Tunze 6020, 6040, 6015, 6025 (although the later 2 are none controllable). I would suggest jebao (rw4 or wp10), but i know you are a high end german brand guy...
Hahaha. I don't think I've ever been called that before. =P I'm open to a Jebao if its quiet. I was actually considering the Jebao PP series? Is that the most up to date model?

Noah, that's the one I bought. It provides really good flow, but I can feel the vibration from the pump while sitting next to my stand on the floor. You think it may quiet down if I give it some time? This pump is in my sump, it's 1/4" acrylic I believe. If I suspend the pump in the water without touching the sump wall, it quiets down significantly.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Noah, that's the one I bought. It provides really good flow, but I can feel the vibration from the pump while sitting next to my stand on the floor. You think it may quiet down if I give it some time? This pump is in my sump, it's 1/4" acrylic I believe. If I suspend the pump in the water without touching the sump wall, it quiets down significantly.
Make sure those blue rubbers are well placed. Shouldn't vibrate specially in such a big tank. That is weird. Try contacting tunze if you still have issues or move it around and make sure nothing is touching it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hahaha. I don't think I've ever been called that before. =P I'm open to a Jebao if its quiet. I was actually considering the Jebao PP series? Is that the most up to date model?
I wouldn't say its a newer model. Its classic Chinese skirting away from patent infringement with hydor. RW model has the suction cup that infringed on hydor. Soo, jebao removed the suction cups, gave it a new model. Case closed..

I wouldn't say its a newer model. Its classic Chinese skirting away from patent infringement with hydor. RW model has the suction cup that infringed on hydor. Soo, jebao removed the suction cups, gave it a new model. Case closed..
Oh, I see. So would you recommend the PP or the WP/RW? I just need a powerhead that pushes around 500 gph, so nothing huge.

James, I'm awaiting a PP in the mail. Hope it does the job. This Tunze is great and well built, but I can hear it out of my stand. Hopefully, a dc pump will help reduce noise.

James, I'm awaiting a PP in the mail. Hope it does the job. This Tunze is great and well built, but I can hear it out of my stand. Hopefully, a dc pump will help reduce noise.
It should, its weird that the 6040 made that much noise.

It should, its weird that the 6040 made that much noise.

Well, I got the Jebao PP4 in the mail, so far I am impressed by the quietness of the pump and the amount of flow it provides. It's very compact and has a really strong magnet. Let's hope it lasts for a while.

Maybe Chinese patent infringement isn't so bad? =P [MENTION=5085]newtothis[/MENTION]

Well, I got the Jebao PP4 in the mail, so far I am impressed by the quietness of the pump and the amount of flow it provides. It's very compact and has a really strong magnet. Let's hope it lasts for a while.

Maybe Chinese patent infringement isn't so bad? =P [MENTION=5085]newtothis[/MENTION]
Sound the alarm, we got a defector… .