Water changes on a coral only tank

djam

I found an awesome glass jar, about 10" across and 20" tall (cylinder) that I'm thinking of setting up in my office with just coral in it (no fish). How often would I need to change water if I'm just adding occasional coral food? I had a 30-gallon tank, but coming in on weekends was a drag to feed fish.

I think the tank is about 7-8 gallons compared to a 5-gallon jug.

I'm planning on filling it with things like frogspawn or torches. I need to figure out how to mount a powerhead (maybe at the bottom pointing to stir the surface).

Thoughts and comments?

This sounds like fun. Im going to tag along.
I think you would still have to do regular water changes because the coral would use the stuff they need pretty fast.
I don't know if torches and frogspawn would be a good idea or not. I think your best bet would be soft coral like zoas and mush rooms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I found an awesome glass jar, about 10" across and 20" tall (cylinder) that I'm thinking of setting up in my office with just coral in it (no fish). How often would I need to change water if I'm just adding occasional coral food? I had a 30-gallon tank, but coming in on weekends was a drag to feed fish.

I think the tank is about 7-8 gallons compared to a 5-gallon jug.

I'm planning on filling it with things like frogspawn or torches. I need to figure out how to mount a powerhead (maybe at the bottom pointing to stir the surface).

Thoughts and comments?

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I think the only fair answer is that you'll have to test. No3 and po4 isn't the only thing that is taken care of by water changes but also replenishes Cal, Alk, Mag and trace that LPS corals use up. Having no fish will help keep the no3 and po4 down but pico tanks aren't that stable with water parameters on their own. But obviously more frequent small water changes will help remedy the instability. Good news is you don't have to feed the tank on the weekends!

djam

This sounds like fun. Im going to tag along.
I think you would still have to do regular water changes because the coral would use the stuff they need pretty fast.
I don't know if torches and frogspawn would be a good idea or not. I think your best bet would be soft coral like zoas and mush rooms

i was also thinking of a zoa garden, might be less risk. But the lack of fish is why I was thinking of something with movement

djam

I think the only fair answer is that you'll have to test. No3 and po4 isn't the only thing that is taken care of by water changes but also replenishes Cal, Alk, Mag and trace that LPS corals use up. Having no fish will help keep the no3 and po4 down but pico tanks aren't that stable with water parameters on their own. But obviously more frequent small water changes will help remedy the instability. Good news is you don't have to feed the tank on the weekends!
good point on the replenishments, prob can get away with 1 gallon changes, much easier than the 40 gallon changes I do at home

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree you would have to test. As far as the 30 in office and having to come in to feed on the weekends, I just went 11 days out of the office and only stopped in to feed my tank once during that. There are pods and other stuff in the tank for the fish to eat other than my pellets and they can live for a little without being feed. Also, it helped kill off my GHA issue I was having.

Don't feed. You might want to reconsider frogspawn or anything within that family given they are notorious to emit toxic slimes that kill other coral. Ive kept Xenia and zoas in a mason jar and the only two parameters I really checked daily were salinity (keep an eye on the water level) and temperature.

djam

Thanks for the feedback, trying to decide what to put in the jar, going to do a test setup this weekend with from water I pull out during a water change and stick some stuff in there to see what it looks like.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, trying to decide what to put in the jar, going to do a test setup this weekend with from water I pull out during a water change and stick some stuff in there to see what it looks like.

Dave
I had a 6 gallon cadlights I heavily neglected and zoas, mushrooms, and xenia are nearly indestructible under those conditions. I'd definitely start with those. Don't think I'd recommend any stonies though, unless you really keep up with good water conditions.

Fizzman

I have 1.7gal mixed tank, and I change water once every 2weeks, 30% change each time. I have a clownfish in there. I think u should have a fish in there, cuz I have another 1gal tank on the same desk and schedule and isn't doing as well. Also, I noticed a decline in coral happiness when I started feeding pellets instead of coral food powder to the fish, my guess is that the rest of the tank isn't getting the left over bits from the powder stuff with the pellets.