Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question about keeping live rock live

I'm upgrading my tank in 2-3 weeks. If I bought live rock from an established tank, how long will it stay live with beneficial bacteria in a bucket with a heater? And would the Coralline die off be a problem? The rock would be in the bucket for 2-3 weeks. Thanks in advance!

Contributing Member
    Name
    Hyren Dale
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heater and a small pump should do the work. Get hold of a 20g brute trash can. That's usually what I do with my extra live rocks
    SCRK member

3. Likes thedevilscandy liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dorkymk3 View Post
    Heater and a small pump should do the work. Get hold of a 20g brute trash can. That's usually what I do with my extra live rocks
    That's what i was hoping for. Just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be die off. Thanks!

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Coraline will die off since there's not light but the bacteria should still be alive.
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    Coraline will die off since there's not light but the bacteria should still be alive.
    I have a couple spare LEDs sitting around. I'll throw one on. I don't know if it'll be enough to support Coralline, but better than nothing. Thanks

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other question. What would be the most efficient way to rid the rock of any bristleworms?

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilscandy View Post
    One other question. What would be the most efficient way to rid the rock of any bristleworms?
    acid dip. Any reason why you want to get rid of the bristle worms?
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I have a couple spare LEDs sitting around. I'll throw one on. I don't know if it'll be enough to support Coralline, but better than nothing. Thanks
    I would just leave it without light. The coraline will grow back. If it were to be lit, I'd be worried about the die off and/or trapped organics in the rock that will leach contributing to algae growth while in the brute can. Better to leave it be, and do a water change a time or to before you add it to your new tank just to be safe.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 7th & 8th, 2017

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

10. Likes Smite liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
    I would just leave it without light. The coraline will grow back. If it were to be lit, I'd be worried about the die off and/or trapped organics in the rock that will leach contributing to algae growth while in the brute can. Better to leave it be, and do a water change a time or to before you add it to your new tank just to be safe.
    I didn't think about that, good point. It'll be 1-2 weeks instead of 3. Just talked to the guy at the LFS. Any thoughts on ridding the rock of bristleworms?

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
    acid dip. Any reason why you want to get rid of the bristle worms?
    What do you mean by acid dip? I hate bristleworms wit a passion. I'm a chick, which is probably reason enough lol. I knwo some people love them, I'm just not one of them.

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I didn't think about that, good point. It'll be 1-2 weeks instead of 3. Just talked to the guy at the LFS. Any thoughts on ridding the rock of bristleworms?
    You'll need to do what Solitude is saying. Muriatic Acid... but then you'd have to re cure / cycle the rock again.

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/sh...-old-live-rock
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - October 7th & 8th, 2017

SCMAS Member ~ www.officialscmas.org ~ #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- Ecotech Vectra M1 x2- MP60wQD x1- MP40wQD x2- Apex- Wrasse Lover

Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
    You'll need to do what Solitude is saying. Muriatic Acid... but then you'd have to re cure / cycle the rock again.

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/sh...-old-live-rock
    Oh, no bueno. So Revive type products won't kill them? Maybe he first new fish in will be a Melanarus then.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Miguel
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just set the live rock outside if you can and get direct sunlight, although that may be tough since were in rain season now. When I did my last upgrade, mind I did it around June when it was warmer I left it in one of those Walmart totes for about 2 weeks with a power head & heater. Even the nem survived, it loved the direct sunlight for some reason. Had no issues with live rock causing problems when I threw it into my display

16. Likes thedevilscandy liked this post
    Contributing Member
    Name
    Blaire
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about that as well, but no way it'll get enough sunlight right now. Figured I'd Id keep the tub next to the back door (glass) in a clear tub so it can get as much sunlight as possible. I can't actually leave it outside because I have wild raccoons i feed every night and they'll think it's a fun game to dig through the bucket lol.

Registered Member
    Name
    Gary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To prevent any die off, ideally you should keep the LR in the same parameters as your aquarium (temp, light source, dissolved oxygen in water). So id put some sort of light source, heater, and either an airpump or just a pump

Thread Information