Question about keeping live rock live

I'm upgrading my tank in 2-3 weeks. If I bought live rock from an established tank, how long will it stay live with beneficial bacteria in a bucket with a heater? And would the Coralline die off be a problem? The rock would be in the bucket for 2-3 weeks. Thanks in advance!

Heater and a small pump should do the work. Get hold of a 20g brute trash can. That's usually what I do with my extra live rocks

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Coraline will die off since there's not light but the bacteria should still be alive.

BeanMachine

Supporter
I have a couple spare LEDs sitting around. I'll throw one on. I don't know if it'll be enough to support Coralline, but better than nothing. Thanks :)
I would just leave it without light. The coraline will grow back. If it were to be lit, I'd be worried about the die off and/or trapped organics in the rock that will leach contributing to algae growth while in the brute can. Better to leave it be, and do a water change a time or to before you add it to your new tank just to be safe.

I would just leave it without light. The coraline will grow back. If it were to be lit, I'd be worried about the die off and/or trapped organics in the rock that will leach contributing to algae growth while in the brute can. Better to leave it be, and do a water change a time or to before you add it to your new tank just to be safe.
I didn't think about that, good point. It'll be 1-2 weeks instead of 3. Just talked to the guy at the LFS. Any thoughts on ridding the rock of bristleworms?

BeanMachine

Supporter
Just set the live rock outside if you can and get direct sunlight, although that may be tough since were in rain season now. When I did my last upgrade, mind I did it around June when it was warmer I left it in one of those Walmart totes for about 2 weeks with a power head & heater. Even the nem survived, it loved the direct sunlight for some reason. Had no issues with live rock causing problems when I threw it into my display

I thought about that as well, but no way it'll get enough sunlight right now. Figured I'd Id keep the tub next to the back door (glass) in a clear tub so it can get as much sunlight as possible. I can't actually leave it outside because I have wild raccoons i feed every night and they'll think it's a fun game to dig through the bucket lol.

To prevent any die off, ideally you should keep the LR in the same parameters as your aquarium (temp, light source, dissolved oxygen in water). So id put some sort of light source, heater, and either an airpump or just a pump

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I'd be too worried about an algae explosion with direct sunlight. Direct sunlight is usually around 6500-7000k, what you'd shoot for in a refugium or planted tank. I'd imagine if there was a mini cycle or some nutrients trapped in that rock it could turn into an issue quick.

I considered that and went with a cheap LED to temporarily keep the leather and shrooms that are in the live rock bucket alive. So far the leather hasn't opened up. It's not in direct sulight either. I put a little phytoplankton in there for any pods, and a little MB7 for bacteria. Do you think I should run an HOB with some ROWAphos to absorb possible excess phosphates?

Latest posts