Triton Results

watchguy123

Featured Reef
What do you think:

I got my triton results, I do this about once a year or so. Interesting findings. My hanna checker for ULR said my PO4 were about .054 ppm (converted from phosphorous 17 ppm) but triton said almost undetectable. And triton found that Silicate was high and my Iodine low.

I think we all wish we had water quality so spot on.. Silicate and Iron are directly related to source water, and the numbers you are showing are typical for North America and definitely Southern Cal. If anything you have numbers in both parameters that are better than most other Triton tests I have seen

BeanMachine

Supporter
I'm curious about your lithium reading being within the normal range... as myself and others I know had extremely high lithium when we had our tanks tested. ** I will add mine was over 1000... but my tank never looked better. I think the consensus was that it was present in the various salt mixes, as well as 2 part. So my question for you is what salt are you using and are you dosing 2 part or on a calcium reactor?

watchguy123

Featured Reef
I'm curious about your lithium reading being within the normal range... as myself and others I know had extremely high lithium when we had our tanks tested. ** I will add mine was over 1000... but my tank never looked better. I think the consensus was that it was present in the various salt mixes, as well as 2 part. So my question for you is what salt are you using and are you dosing 2 part or on a calcium reactor?
I dose with a calcium reactor and I use two little fishes coral media (REBORN). I saw too much unusual foreign material in ARM media so I don't use it. My salt mix changes over time because like many others, I am searching for that really awesome, reliable, consistent salt. I used IO for a short while but didn't like adding muriatic acid to lower alk. I use to use red sea salt (the one in the blue bucket not Coral Pro) because the alkalinity was around 8. I also tried D-d Salt because alk was also around 8 but red sea and d-d left smudge on the side of my saltwater storage tank. I have been using Tropic Marin for about a year now. I used one bucket of Aquaforest Reef salt (not the probiotic) and it was fine. I just bought a box of Fritz's RPM to try. I like salt mixes that give me a dKh of around 8 which is where I keep my tank. But I guess you can tell, that I have not been loyal to only one salt mix.

Oh and i should add that i change 10-15% water weekly. And if anything looks goofy in the tank like something just not happy, then I do a 25% water change over a couple days or three. If concerned after that, I do the same thing the following week. I test alk and nitrate usually twice a week, sometimes more frequently and very rarely less frequently. I like visually observing sps looking happy, but I also want to verify that alk and nitrates are stable. I think corals can look happy while deteriorating or fluctuating parameter changes are taking place until one day the tank transitions from looking happy to crash. I am most comfortable when the tank looks happy and parameters are stable

Results look great. Low iodine is a blessing, I got results back a few weeks ago and my Iodine was at 420. Im pretty sure it was a bad bag of IO. I did a water change and a day later I noticed things were off. Keep in mind I run nitrates so I figured maybe the coral had enough. So I did another water change and within hours I lost polyp extension and knew something was wrong. Sent a test in and there it is. Things are recovering nicely now and I only lost 3 pieces so for that I am thankful.

Latest posts