Contributing Member
    Name
    Jami
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seriously? Tanks are killin me.. :/

They forgot to add the savings option ' Kick your wife out and make her take those tanks with her!'
    Anybody else this screwed? I use led lighting for gods sake! What else can I do .. aside from solar panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoarder View Post
    What she said lol

“Be who you are and say what you feel...because those who mind don't matter,and those who matter don't mind.”

135g eurobraced LeeMar Mixed reef (72x18x25) 40g AA sump ,SRO 2000int skimmer, DC 6000 return, WP25x3 ,BM Doser, Tunze ATO, BRS gfo reactor, lit by two 32" RB Photon LEDS and the glow of a Mutha's Love!
    38G AA rimless Seahorse tank, 20g sump,S120 Cone skimmer ,Tunze ATO,RB A4 Nova LED.. And massive amounts of display macro!

Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Get used to it. It's why I got solar panels. Look at all your equipment and try to find your high energy consuming ones. Look at energy efficient options. That will help a little.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pgr11; 01-05-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Registered Member
    Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. who uses electric water heaters in so cal?

i mean, besides me. we dont have gas service where I live, but regardless.

change all your bulbs in the house to LED, and switch all your toggles to sensor buttons. better, change your fixtures to LED.

turn off computers, and do what they say, turn off everything all at once at the strip.

4. Thanks happaman thanked for this post
    Name
    Noah
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What Chris said. Usually the older pumps draw more power than the new pumps. also make sure you have the right heater because if its underpowered it will be on all the time and never turn off. I keep an 800 watts that doesn't turn on all the time or is on for too much time. Having 2 tanks is tough.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    150G Lemar, 55G sump, BubbleKing Supermarin 250, Aquamaxx Bio Pellets;Carbon;GFO reactors, Tunze ATO, Ecotech Radions (x3); 4-48"T5 hybrid, Mp40s (x2), Full Apex with dual Ph probes, 1 eb8, 2dc8. MTC PROCAL Calcium Reactor, Korallin Calcium Reactor 1502.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What Chris said. Usually the older pumps draw more power than the new pumps. also make sure you have the right heater because if its underpowered it will be on all the time and never turn off. I keep an 800 watts that doesn't turn on all the time or is on for too much time. Having 2 tanks is tough.
    I've been pondering about this lately in the Winter! My 300watt heater comes on more times that I like. What heater do you recommend? I'm still using my 300watt Eheim Jagger Heater. At the time, that was as big as they came.
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Name
    Noah
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
    I've been pondering about this lately in the Winter! My 300watt heater comes on more times that I like. What heater do you recommend? I'm still using my 300watt Eheim Jagger Heater. At the time, that was as big as they came.
    I've always used jbj true temp titanium heater.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    150G Lemar, 55G sump, BubbleKing Supermarin 250, Aquamaxx Bio Pellets;Carbon;GFO reactors, Tunze ATO, Ecotech Radions (x3); 4-48"T5 hybrid, Mp40s (x2), Full Apex with dual Ph probes, 1 eb8, 2dc8. MTC PROCAL Calcium Reactor, Korallin Calcium Reactor 1502.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Damian
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhuneke View Post

They forgot to add the savings option ' Kick your wife out and make her take those tanks with her!'
    Anybody else this screwed? I use led lighting for gods sake! What else can I do .. aside from solar panels?

Quit showering! =P
    48x30x24 150g LeeMar: 48" ATI LED Powermodule, 2 MP40's, Bubble King Double Cone 200, Korallin C1502 Calcium Reactor, 3 NextReef Reactors, Apex

Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Confuse View Post
    I run a finnex 800w

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Contributing Member
    Name
    Miguel
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I saw a $100+ dip in the electric bill when I downgraded from my 125g to my 66g. In this case size does matter!! Lol

Registered Member
    Name
    Gus
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar. My sump is in my non-insulated garage and 300W worth of heaters are on constantly now but I generated so much surplus electricity with the solar in the summer that my bill is still $0. Also switched out DC pump for an AC Fluval SP4 and have other stuff like my masterflex which is not an electricity sipper. I know you don't want to hear about Solar but you will save tons of money in the long run.

Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@pciscott posted this on RC. Maybe something to look into
    Quote Originally Posted by pciscott View Post
    Merry Christmas and a money saving tip to ease the pains of this hobby

I switched to Time of Use B about 3 months ago and with little change to my consumption, my bill has dropped $200 per month. SCE has an easy tool to test out new rates off your current bill. My family is trying not to use heavy energy between 2pm and 8pm and I see my bill coming down even more over time.

https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
    60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. 30G nano, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15

Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hey Jami, have you thought about consolidating systems? That's what I did and it brought my electric bill down $150 a month. You can still have 2 or 3 tanks but connect them so it's only one return pump, one ato, one doser, etc.

Contributing Member
    Name
    Jami
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.. I will look into the pumps.. I run jebao D.C. Return and 3 wp 20s in the reef , and an old pos rio on the sh tank. Prob do need a bigger heater as well!
    Can't really plumb together since the pony tank is lower temp etc.. but was a good thought
    Have only changed like half lamps in the house to led.. so that's another thing to do. Hubs is chewing my @ss up one side and down the other about this happy news in our bill. Thanks for all the input

What she said lol

“Be who you are and say what you feel...because those who mind don't matter,and those who matter don't mind.”

135g eurobraced LeeMar Mixed reef (72x18x25) 40g AA sump ,SRO 2000int skimmer, DC 6000 return, WP25x3 ,BM Doser, Tunze ATO, BRS gfo reactor, lit by two 32" RB Photon LEDS and the glow of a Mutha's Love!
    38G AA rimless Seahorse tank, 20g sump,S120 Cone skimmer ,Tunze ATO,RB A4 Nova LED.. And massive amounts of display macro!

15. Likes Tangwich liked this post
    Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhuneke View Post
    Hubs is chewing my @ss up one side and down the other

kinky.

17. Likes 805reef, Jhuneke liked this post
    Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

You can run your lights at night to save money and not start your light cycle during peak hours.

What is your thermostat set to normally? 72?
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - November 19th & 20th 2016

SCMAS / SCRK / IEMAS / LARS / MASLAC = Club Junky #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PowerModule- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- AquaMaxx CO5- Apex- Wrasse Lover

19. Likes Jhuneke liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information