Dead rock questions

I am planning to aquascape a structure. I have dead rock that has been exposed to recent weather.

How long will this process take?

What could happen if I just put dead rock into my sump or display?

What equipment do I need?

Can I boil the rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do NOT boil the rocks... you'll die forever...or at least end up in the ICU....

you can always throw it in an acid bath... or just throw it in the tank and slow cycle it like normal....

do NOT boil the rocks... you'll die forever...or at least end up in the ICU....

you can always throw it in an acid bath... or just throw it in the tank and slow cycle it like normal....
Yea idk if I can deal with acid that one way I'll end up in ICU. How will I die will it release a chemical in the air? Can I take few pieces of live rock from sump n place in a bucket or 10gallon tank n get it done. How long will it take to get the rock ready for tank?

if, it's one huge piece, i would cycle it in another tank... theoretically, you can dump it in the tank and use a bottle of dr timm's one and only... but i don't think anyone has tried it... LOL...

but, if it's a bunch of small rocks, you can add them slowly... and when i say slowly, i mean like a small rock once a month...

if, it's one huge piece, i would cycle it in another tank... theoretically, you can dump it in the tank and use a bottle of dr timm's one and only... but i don't think anyone has tried it... LOL...

but, if it's a bunch of small rocks, you can add them slowly... and when i say slowly, i mean like a small rock once a month...
If I put in a separate bucket do I need a filter n heater to make it into live rock.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
If it's a well established system with good nutrient exportation and the rock is not that big in comparison to your already established rock I say just put it in there after a good day few days in a fresh water dip to allow it to leach anything off from the rain. But I'm a risk taker sometimes. It's ultimately up to you.

How established is the system it's going into?
1 year in two weeks.

Oh ok well I have them in a bucket with a pump in saltwater from my a water change to clean it I guess. I was thinking of replacing a live rock covered with mushroom with a dead rock to get the real estate for nice corals.

1 year in two weeks.

Oh ok well I have them in a bucket with a pump in saltwater from my a water change to clean it I guess. I was thinking of replacing a live rock covered with mushroom with a dead rock to get the real estate for nice corals.

Just don't throw it all in at once, it can cause your tank to cycle and unleash something bad like ammonia if its a good amount. Easy does it or just cycle it in the bucket its already in