Why Do My Wrasses Love Nori So Much?!

I swear, I'm trying to feed this tiny Yellow Eye Kole Tang green nori, and my punk *** wrasses keep hogging the nori. I don't know why they love it so much, but they have always been the major consumers of my nori, even when I had bigger tangs in my tank. I'm even pretty heavy handed on feedings too, so it's not like they're starving. Kind of annoying cause I can't get this tang to get a taste of it.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
My 2 wrasse, clowns, midas and kole tang battle it out for the nori strip.

Speaking of nori, what do you guys use for nori clips?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I use the Two Little Fishies magnet clip, BUT the magnet is not epoxied, so it rusts. I typically switch it out after 6 months. It's the best clip there is, but it's a shittyy made product. When I emailed TLF, they told me that there is no link between rust from magnets and coral death. Of course, they didn't provide any proof either. But hey, shows just how much they care about their products.

I use the Two Little Fishies magnet clip, BUT the magnet is not epoxied, so it rusts. I typically switch it out after 6 months. It's the best clip there is, but it's a shittyy made product. When I emailed TLF, they told me that there is no link between rust from magnets and coral death. Of course, they didn't provide any proof either. But hey, shows just how much they care about their products.
The magnet is mine just pulled out last week after using it for over a year. Luckily it looked rust free

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM

I was worried about the rust so i went with the Julian Sprungs Veggie clip version. Also made by TLF but without the magnet. Suction cup is super strong too, have to peel it off. No metal in the design is a huge bonus for me.

Like this but I think i found mine on BRS or a LFS. Can't remember.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/julian-sprungs-sea-veggies-clip

I got the same response from TLF. The truth is, they cannot guarantee that. Unless they are paying a LOT for their magnets (they aren't), then the magnets are almost guaranteed to have impurities and trace metals in them, which, when rusting, become exposed to the water and can negatively influence your livestock.

I asked them why they don't just pot their magnets in epoxy... no answer. I conclude that TLF gives approximately 2 sh1ts.

What I do, take the plastic clip off the magnets, chuck the magnets, ziptie the clip to a rod hanging down in the tank, and insert/remove nori that way. I dont need magnets rusting in my tank to be yet another variable if things go south.

In other news, my wrasses love the nori too! I recently started buying it in Vons in the asian food section, you get like 5x as much for half the price as the "aquarium food specific" Nori, and it is the same stuff.

My Melanurus LOVES when I don't scrape the glass for awhile.. I like to let one of my sides grow algae for about a week or so to ensure the pods and snails have plenty to munch on..

Well, when it comes time to clean my wrasse follows the algae scraper and eats up mouth fulls of algae/pods. I'm pretty certain all wrasse are at least half-pig. Cracks me up how happy the little guy gets when he sees to scraper go to the 'treat side' of the tank lol.

I swear, I'm trying to feed this tiny Yellow Eye Kole Tang green nori, and my punk *** wrasses keep hogging the nori. I don't know why they love it so much, but they have always been the major consumers of my nori, even when I had bigger tangs in my tank. I'm even pretty heavy handed on feedings too, so it's not like they're starving. Kind of annoying cause I can't get this tang to get a taste of it.
It's better this way so the wrasse can teach the tang nori is food!!

I was worried about the rust so i went with the Julian Sprungs Veggie clip version. Also made by TLF but without the magnet. Suction cup is super strong too, have to peel it off. No metal in the design is a huge bonus for me.

Like this but I think i found mine on BRS or a LFS. Can't remember.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/julian-sprungs-sea-veggies-clip
Thanks for the link bro. Im especially worked about magnet rust.

Latest posts