Starting again.. but still impatient: start up cycling question.

I got a new Evo 13.5 G for Christmas. I bought the PS2 skimmer though I am realizing I did not need it. I have live sand from Dr. Fosters and will use salt water from my LFS.

The question is can I take live rock from someone with an established tank and add coral right away? Or does the bacteria need to spread through the system, the filtration, etc., of an essentially brand new hardware.

Thanks for the help!

You should start with everything new and fresh and take time for the tank to cycle. Rushing in reef hobby will only lead you to problems in the long run.

Trung

I would try to get some water from the tank they're coming from would help a lot, I would try to get half which is only 6g or so. That could reduce the large cycle possibilities, if your corals are softies I think they can handle it, assuming its coming from a display tank

You should start with everything new and fresh and take time for the tank to cycle. Rushing in reef hobby will only lead you to problems in the long run. Trung
Thanks. I know I should. But that's not the plan now. lol. Going to take my chances adding the input from others like using the water from the original tank. I have a few days before I get the corals and rock so I will also try to add Biospira from instant ocean. I will also try to get the carbon, gfo and other filtration elements from the original tank. Thanks Trung.

I would try to get some water from the tank they're coming from would help a lot, I would try to get half which is only 6g or so. That could reduce the large cycle possibilities, if your corals are softies I think they can handle it, assuming its coming from a display tank
Thanks for the advice. I intend to do all 13.5 G from the display.

Biospira from instant ocean.
If you are adding softies you should be fine if the rock and sand is live.
BabyJess, I will be getting SPS too.

I would test the water and make sure it didnt mini cycle
I will be testing everyday. I might be giving stuff away if the tank goes bad.

Thanks SCR! You guys are awesome!

nanomaster

Your tank will always cycle when adding or subtracting large items in tank. This is due to bacteria overload or starvation.

Zik

I personally used bio-spira on my dryrock / live sand combo and it worked great! Fishless cycle was wrapped up in 2x weeks while using dr tims ammonia (and his fishless cycle guide)

Latest posts