Printed a new Gyre eurobrace holder in clear

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I finally decided to try some of the clear filament that is out. I was hoping it would be a little more see through but it still looks pretty cool. Here is a comparison between black and the new clear.

That is awesome!! Great work! What kind of cost do you incur in comparison to building something like that out of acrylic?

I finally decided to try some of the clear filament that is out. I was hoping it would be a little more see through but it still looks pretty cool. Here is a comparison between black and the new clear.

Thats byitchn, man. Told you we have chance in a DIY contest (if we were have one)..

Very cool Vince!!!
How do you like the gyres for flow, I have a 180 mixed reef maybe in the market for different pumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
That is awesome!! Great work! What kind of cost do you incur in comparison to building something like that out of acrylic?
Well of course you need a 3d printer to do it, so if you add that in to the cost its a lot more than any acrylic project. But just the filament for this print is probably a couple bucks if that. Other costs could be from the time to design it and then it does take time to print it.

Thats byitchn, man. Told you we have chance in a DIY contest (if we were have one)..
I would have to come up with some more ideas if they did have one! But there are tons of other DIY projects people have shared on this site that I could easily see could win the contest.

Very cool Vince!!!
How do you like the gyres for flow, I have a 180 mixed reef maybe in the market for different pumps?

Best pumps ever, want to buy mine? LOL. I think they are ok. I havent used any other pumps in this tank (have useded tunzes and vortechs in my old tank) but I think they are to laminar. Not sure if thats the right word but I mean the flow doesnt spread out top to bottom as much as I would like. I am thinking of replacing one of mine on the overflow side with a couple mp40's.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. My 180 is a peninsula type tank with overflow box on one side, was going to run a gyre on the non-overflow side and then run either MP 40s or tunzes on either side of the flow box. Let me know if you put those gyre clamps you made into production.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I was thinking of doing the same thing. My 180 is a peninsula type tank with overflow box on one side, was going to run a gyre on the non-overflow side and then run either MP 40s or tunzes on either side of the flow box. Let me know if you put those gyre clamps you made into production.

I've been using them for about 10 months or so now. It works well for my gyre. I like having it high out of the way and pointing right at the overflow. You do have to play with the direction of the gyre a bit so that it isn't shooting water up, but that's pretty easy to figure out.

When you shut your main pump off and let the tank drain down a little is the gyre deep enough not to suck air?

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
When you shut your main pump off and let the tank drain down a little is the gyre deep enough not to suck air?

I would have to test that... but I don't think so. Or maybe depending on the speed that the gyre is set to. The brackets can be made to be deeper though if that was something you were interested in. I don't shut my pump off though so it wasn't a big concern for me.

Either way, I think your design is freaking awesome, would love to implement that in my tank so let me know if you ever have the time to make another set I would be very interested in purchasing from you.

And if you were serious about your gyre I might be interested in that too for the right price of course what model is it?

Did you use ABS, Nylon as your resin?

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Made a set of these with a little cable grip to help keep the cable out of the way a bit better. Came out pretty good i think: