One reactor, two medias

Is it possible to have GFO and carbon in one reactor? Maybe separate them with a sponge?
If so, what order would you put them in?

Is it possible to have GFO and carbon in one reactor? Maybe separate them with a sponge?
If so, what order would you put them in?
Not a good idea. GFO need to tumble or else it will clump. GAC does not need to tumble, since its brittle

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

joseserrano

2020 Contributor
Both require different flow rates as well for them to be effective. Will it work, yes, but you will not be getting maximum use/efficiency out of them.

Hi there
It may be possible if you use a phos media that doesn't need to be tumbling/shimmering something like phosguard which is one that can be used in a canister as well. The only problem I can see though is exhaustion Times may differ between the two medias. Which is why I think most people use separate reactors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive done it before with harder carbon, filter pads in the reactor and a final filter sock. Just make full use of the GFO as it is the much more expensive medium.

Yeah, medium is singular, media is already plural. Do not use FAKE MEDIA, it will not work on half the people. Hehe. Easy mistake to make as they call them a mediA reactor, but none were actually designed to run more than 1 medium at a time. Because if the call them a filter medium reactor some baller would demand extra large, XXL for the big boy tanks. But I digress...

I would put the gfo in the bottom with sponge mid reactor. Then put some carbon in a mesh bag and add it in. Carbon needs to be changed out more frequently and you can easily pull out the pouch to do so. Only flaw is the flow through the carbon should be higher but not by much so I don't think it's a big deal

Latest posts