How long ago was your tank manufactured?

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Just curious how old everyones tanks are? How long do you think a tank will be able to hold water for? 10 years, 15 years 20 years?

My DT is about 7 years old now so was wondering if the seams weaken over time

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Just curious how old everyones tanks are? How long do you think a tank will be able to hold water for? 10 years, 15 years 20 years?

My DT is about 7 years old now so was wondering if the seams weaken over time
Good question.... Subscribing!

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I think I've heard people having tanks like 10+ years. Not sure if the tank was filled all that time but certainly something to thing about!

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
I think I've heard people having tanks like 10+ years. Not sure if the tank was filled all that time but certainly something to thing about!
I've heard the same. I think my 75 is about 4-5 years old. By the time I get to set it back up I may have to have the silicone redone lol.

there's this chinese food restaurant that supposedly has a 20 year old 120g tank... LOL.... said that they got itwhen they opened up... the tank does look very old though... dark green glass, ugly silicone and metal brace... but not sure if they every repaired it, or just lucky...

All Delight

I called Tunze a few years ago because I was concerned about the pressure their wave box would put on my tank. They told me that it may decrease the life span by 10 to 20% (if I recall correctly) as long as the tank is made by "such and such" specifications (all major tank manufactures meet these guidelines). Then told me a tank should last 12 to 15 years. Based on that I was no concerned about using a wave box since I don't plan to have my tank for longer than 5 to 7 years (I sold it after 3 years).

This is a really good topic. May have to do with the quality of the tank mfg and the type of silicone they use. Maybe someone that's ordering a tank from some of the reputable builders can ask them this question. I'm definitely curious to hear what they say would be the typical life of a tank given all else constant...no faulty stand, earthquake, abuse etc.

what about acrylic...? since it's not glued together, but bonded... i wonder if they outlast glass aquariums....

My Leemar 180g didnt last more than 6 months. It started seperating one morning and thank goodness my wife caught it before it destroyed my house.
I have had John at Advanced Acrylics build a new 180 1 inch Euro braced. Im hoping that this lasts a long time.

Just got to be careful not to scratch the acylic. Also getting a magnetic scraper to work properly is not easy to find.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
what about acrylic...? since it's not glued together, but bonded... i wonder if they outlast glass aquariums....
I think the same rules apply about being on a level stand and I've seen some tanks split at the seam as well. Maybe it was a poorly made acrylic tank

I was told there wasn't a lifespan on acrylic. The bonds dont degrade over time.
At my LFS, their 1000g display split in the middle of the acrylic. Maybe the acrylic was faulty but it was an ugly mess.

I like how some aquarium manufacturers are adding stainless steel bracing around tanks. I'm sure this adds longevity.

My old Leemar tank is running great at my friend's house for 9 Years. His tank is still in good shape. I think the guy in other forum has his (Paul B) tank like 40 years.
I think the structure (reinforced) of tank like Eurobraced, bracing, better silicon help the tank last longer.

My first tank was a TruVu 55g acrylic built in 1994 still holds waters fine just crazing on the top brace from my metal halide. I finally retired it a few months ago and now it's still being use as a sump.

I like how some aquarium manufacturers are adding stainless steel bracing around tanks. I'm sure this adds longevity.
The new tank I am considering has powder coated stainless bracing. It better last a LONG time because I am selling most of my internal organs to afford it...

Current tank is about 3 years old. Stand it is on is bang on level, so I hope it lasts till I run out of organs and the new one shows up...

My 400g display tank got wet in 2004. It has a stainless steel (supposedly) powder coated frame - but the frame has been rusting for the past 12 years. My sump is a TruVu tank that I bought used in 1993.

But at my parents house, in my old bedroom, which is now my Dad's office, is my 60g Tall Glass tank (36x16x30) - which as of this weekend is 35 years old. I siliconed the top plastic molding back on a few years ago.

Dave B

Latest posts