bubble plate placement on skimmers

Does it matter how you have the bubble plate oriented in a skimmer? I have a cadlights pls 150 cone skimmer that has a bubble plate that has holes drilled in all but a small pizza shaped area that has no holes. Should the no holed area be oriented directly above the intake into the skimmer canister or does it matter. Recently cleaned skimmer and did not notice its orientation before cleaning. I called cadlights spoke with someone there that said it does not matter but he seemed to really not know. If it does not matter then why not have the whole plate with holes, what is the function of the area without holes?

Attachments

Does it matter how you have the bubble plate oriented in a skimmer? I have a cadlights pls 150 cone skimmer that has a bubble plate that has holes drilled in all but a small pizza shaped area that has no holes. Should the no holed area be oriented directly above the intake into the skimmer canister or does it matter. Recently cleaned skimmer and did not notice its orientation before cleaning. I called cadlights spoke with someone there that said it does not matter but he seemed to really not know. If it does not matter then why not have the whole plate with holes, what is the function of the area without holes?
I think is does matter, as most skimmer bubble plate are like these. I have always recommend and suggest to all my customer while at MD (tech support) n now at SeaSide, to ensure optimal performance to make sure to rotate or align bubble plate, so that none drilled / solid section to be directly on top of the output of the pump. Now this is only for skimmer with pumps inside the skimmer body.

Heres my theory.. With the pump generating bubbles, once it hits the solid plate. Bubbles would have to find its way out through rest of the plate that are drilled. If the hole side of the plate is sitting directly on top of the output. It would escape to the nearest n closet holes on the plate, while the rest of the holes on the plate would not be optimized or least used..

For external pump skimmer, this does not matter. As the output is directed into another chamber with a full bubble plate, that have no section that is not drilled.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts