Canister filter media?

So my last tank had a sump and all the extra equipment. I'm setting up a 60 gallon cube with just a canister filter. I won't be using a skimmer for now either. Tank will be fish and softies. besides pads, carbon, and GFO, would it be a good idea to add a bag of ceramic rings? I usually wouldn't even consider the idea, but I've always had a sump in the past. I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize the canister. I've always been told not to use them, but setting up a sumpless tank is new for me. Thanks!

You should be find with just filter floss/pad carbon and purigen. Ceramic rings will work too just rinse them out 1 once a month.

You should be find with just filter floss/pad carbon and purigen. Ceramic rings will work too just rinse them out 1 once a month.
Thank you. I wasn't sure if they could cause a problem. It's funny, I've been keeping saltwater tanks for over 10 years, and I know a lot. But funny how a couple random things totally throw you for a loop lol. I've never used Purigen either. I see a lot of people on the FB group I use say they use it. Is it really worth the money to use? I assume it has to be replaced once a month like everything else? I will read up on it later. Sumpless on a larger tank is a foreign concept for me.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if they could cause a problem. It's funny, I've been keeping saltwater tanks for over 10 years, and I know a lot. But funny how a couple random things totally throw you for a loop lol. I've never used Purigen either. I see a lot of people on the FB group I use say they use it. Is it really worth the money to use? I assume it has to be replaced once a month like everything else? I will read up on it later. Sumpless on a larger tank is a foreign concept for me.
Purigen is good to use. and you can regenerate it with bleach/conditioner.
People turn to sump concept to get better system. Some still try to improve the old way to make it works. I recommend to stick with what you know best and it work for you and save you money.

Purigen is good to use. and you can regenerate it with bleach/conditioner.
People turn to sump concept to get better system. Some still try to improve the old way to make it works. I recommend to stick with what you know best and it work for you and save you money.
The tank I'm setting up now is an upgrade on my temp tank. Basically I'll be moving in a year or so, so I want to keep it simple and minimal equipment. No sump, plumbing, dosing unit, etc. That's why I'm maximizing the canister. I don't plan on even using a skimmer. I ordered Matrix as it sounds promising. I'll have to wait and see. That's why I'm only keeping softies and a nem for now. As well as my current fish and I'll be adding 3 more. Honestly, the plethora of equipment is easier, and what I know, but I have to keep it simple for now. Thank you for your input Daniel :) BTW, if you have any more of those green Rhodactis (Lime somethings) LMK. I'd love to get another one when I go to GG next.

The tank I'm setting up now is an upgrade on my temp tank. Basically I'll be moving in a year or so, so I want to keep it simple and minimal equipment. No sump, plumbing, dosing unit, etc. That's why I'm maximizing the canister. I don't plan on even using a skimmer. I ordered Matrix as it sounds promising. I'll have to wait and see. That's why I'm only keeping softies and a nem for now. As well as my current fish and I'll be adding 3 more. Honestly, the plethora of equipment is easier, and what I know, but I have to keep it simple for now. Thank you for your input Daniel :) BTW, if you have any more of those green Rhodactis (Lime somethings) LMK. I'd love to get another one when I go to GG next.
What canister are you going for ? as filter pad, go to Fabric store and get those poly sheet that use for pillow, will save you money on filter pad.

I would throw in Carbon bag in there.
Yes Blaire I still have some of those Key Lime Mushroom. Let me know when you are around.

What canister are you going for ? as filter pad, go to Fabric store and get those poly sheet that use for pillow, will save you money on filter pad.

I would throw in Carbon bag in there.
Yes Blaire I still have some of those Key Lime Mushroom. Let me know when you are around.
It's the Rena XP3. I'm definitely stocked up on Carbon and ROWA plus a ton of filter pads. The Matrix just came in today as well. I bought a huge roll of filter floss a few months ago. I didn't even think about what they sell at the fabric store, thanks for the tip! i'll definitely text you. Do you still have the same number you've always had? If not, PM me. I'll probably be down there in a couple weeks or so. I'll be making a couple trips inland for coral. There are 2 shops in San Clemente. One is better than the other, but way overpriced compared to what I'm use to in Central OC lol ;)

JC Reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I have used canister filters In the past too. I usually put crush coral along with filter floss and a bag of chemipure elite. This has worked for me.

Latest posts