Chinese 165w Led inside 24gal jbj hood

Fizzman

Hey guys, I posted this on RC but thought I would share here as well in case anyone is wondering.
In case anyone wondered if it's possible here is what I did. I just gutted everything inside the hood except the stock fan. Break off any screw post that's in the way. Use silicon adhesive to glue the driver block. Drilled two holes for the two dimmer. Wire everything together. Wiring is mostly stock except for the fans. Drill some holes on the top as a fan grill to add a third fan taken from the Chinese LED case. Glue that fan down with silicon adhesive(liquid nails). Glue some extra old computer heat sinks and old graphic card heat sink to the Led board just in case. So two out and 1 in fan. Cut the led board on the outside so it fits inside the stock cover. Take off all the lens for better coverage. And done. $86 led upgrade. I also bought some Chinese 3w epistar 395nm uv bulbs and replaced 5 white bulbs($5for 10bulbs). I also have 10 full spectrum bulb($3) comming and plan on replacing 4whites and the 2 red bulbs. I find that at the fixed height the light is at the red bulb isn't getting mixed into the tank as well so the full spectrum bulb being essentially blue/red together would be better. One of the attached picture is kind of the plan on the new bulb distribution. This tank just has an upflow ATS and a diy bottle Reactor using a Rio 90pump with seagel as a media.

Attachments

Fizzman

need more fans and vents... but bad arse man... good stuff...
Actually, the fans don't even come on til above 50%. That was the design from the Chinese led box. Now that it is above 50% on both channels, all the fans are on and the air comming out is cool. I didn't actually read the temp at the heat sink or anything but I did test it(not by any means scientific but I think a good ball park) I touched all around the hood and nothing was even warm.

Fizzman

Got the full spectrum bulbs, going to proceed with swapping out 6of the bulbs with full spectrum and getting rid of the red bulbs. Pictures to follow when done.

theMerchant

Premium Member
Supporter
Good job. I started with a 24 jbj and was looking for something like this
Wish i had this idea, eventually went with a DiY Rapid Led kit

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Latest posts