Any Experience with NO3-PO4-X?

So I've been dosing NO3-PO4-X for two weeks now and I wasn't sure what to expect. I haven't tested nitrates or phosphates, but I was hoping to see a slowdown of algae, but all I got so far is a huge cyano bloom. I've dosed vinegar in the past with success, but the dosing was more elborate and titrated and it took a few months to get right.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Subbing. I'd also like to know. I'm dosing vinegar right now with my kalk reservoir. I'm at 3 tsp per gallon with 45 ml of vinegar per gallon. I'm doing 456 ml a day of kalk/vinegar.

I do notice my algae slowly dying off. Its either my tangs are hungry as hell, my fuge working extra hard, or the vinegar lol.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
So I've been dosing NO3-PO4-X for two weeks now and I wasn't sure what to expect. I haven't tested nitrates or phosphates, but I was hoping to see a slowdown of algae, but all I got so far is a huge cyano bloom. I've dosed vinegar in the past with success, but the dosing was more elborate and titrated and it took a few months to get right.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?
2 weeks is too early takes months with carbon dosing, are you using the recommended amount? I would start with low dosage. Also TEST, TEST, TEST! Never dose without testing.

My Tank Build
2 weeks is too early takes months with carbon dosing, are you using the recommended amount? I would start with low dosage. Also TEST, TEST, TEST! Never dose without testing.

Exsactly. The way carbon dosing works u need to know what your nitrates are at. Even dosing VSV u monitor nitrates.

My Tank Build
Here's something I pulled off the web
Without digging deeply into the scientific area of this, the goal of carbon based bacterioplankton systems such as Vodka, Prodibio, Ultralith and Zeovit is to grow bacteria in order to consumer phosphates and nitrates, which are then exported via a protein skimmer. As the bacteria are removed by the skimmer, so are the nutrient that it consumed. This can be achieved with simple carbon dosing such as sugar, or more complex means such as Zeovit, involving reactors, mutiple dosings and color manipulating additives. (Because the bacteria are exported via skimming, a well functioning skimmer is a must!) The goal of these methods is to create a low nutrient environment, particularly liked by Acroporids.

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Stuff works but like everyone else said, it's a fine balancing act on the dosing. Too much and you'll have bacterial blooms, cyano, and cloudy water. take it real slow and test.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Some days I wish I did not have to dose nitrates into my tank. Sigh! I guess we all have our issues with our tanks lol

Latest posts