Mollies eating algae (video)

organism

2020 POTM
Finally got a video of the mollies in my frag tank going nuts on some algae, figured I'd share :)

[video=youtube;aZqZZ8JWrTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZqZZ8JWrTU[/video]

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I asked a guy at petco, and he was like nooo they dont eat algae lol pretty I've had those a few years back but always looked out of place in my tank.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ASERT

The black molly is a fish that a lot of people rarely think about when thinking about algae solutions. The truth is that mollies do in fact help with cleaning up the algae in your tank. They might not be as good as other fish, but they will add a little bit of help. All mollies will eat algae, but out of all of them, the true black molly (Poecilia Sphenops) is the best of the group. They will usually help with the algae growing on rocks and plants.

Hey Miguel- do these guys do well in a high flow sps display? Or do they prefer lower flow?

organism

2020 POTM
The frag tank is SPS with tons of flow, they seem to like it and sit in front of the MP40 sometimes like a treadmill. I had to turn it way down the first couple of days though since they were used to freshwater tank flow.

The frag tank is SPS with tons of flow, they seem to like it and sit in front of the MP40 sometimes like a treadmill. I had to turn it way down the first couple of days though since they were used to freshwater tank flow.
Interesting. I take it you acclimated them yourself from fresh water to salt water. Do you know if they can reproduce in salt water too?

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Interesting. I take it you acclimated them yourself from fresh water to salt water. Do you know if they can reproduce in salt water too?
Yes, they do reproduce in salt water, my friend mollies always popping babies.

organism

2020 POTM
The dalmatians I got pre acclimated from la habra tropical fish. I got an orange male from tong's from freshwater and just tossed it in, did great!

Latest posts